Depending on which dictionary and game you are referring to, the number of 5 letter words ending in W can vary between 39 and 53. Many of these words are now obsolete or are archaic versions of other words. But although you may not find people using them in regular conversations or even when writing, you can still use them when playing word games. So, continue reading to know more about these words.
5 Letter Words Ending in W
What Are 5 Letter Words Ending with W?
Most of these words are either nouns (28 listings) or verbs (23 listings) but many of them can be used as a noun, a verb, an adjective, and/or even an adverb. Case in point, the word “below”, can function as any one of these four parts of speech depending on when and how it is used.
Plus, explore more 5 letter words that end in…
A | C | D | E | H | I | K | L | M | N
O | P | R | S | T | U | W | Y | Z
Why Learn 5 Letter Words Ending in W?
To earn quick points in word games like Wordle, and Scrabble:
All of these 5 letter words can be used in Wordle, and if you use them when playing Scrabble, the word “Squaw” can earn you a cool 17 points, “Kapow” can get you an easy 14 points while the word “Pshaw” can get you 13 points, and there are more points to be had with the others.
To learn English vocabulary:
Of the words listed below, nearly 12 are used commonly in spoken English. So, you are bound to come across them quite frequently and it will certainly help to know what they mean.
Common 5 Letter Words that End in W with their Meanings
- Ablow– (adj) blowing
- Aglow– (adj) glowing with excitement or warmth.
- Allow– (verb) permit/assign/admit
- Arrow– (noun) a missile-like weapon shot from a bow
- Askew– (adv/adj)- out of line
- Bedew– (verb) To become wet with dew or to be wet as if with dew
- Below– (prep/adj/adv/noun) at a lower place/level/floor.
- Besaw– (verb- obsolete) to treat badly or well.
- Bylaw– (noun) a local/regional law or rule of an organization.
- Cahow– (noun) a dark-colored seabird from the Procellariidae/Hydrobatidae families.
- Devow– (verb-obsolete) disavow/renounce
- Elbow– (noun, verb) joint in the human arm- to push with the elbow
- Embow– (verb- archaic) to make into an arch
- Endew– (verb- obsolete) to endow/provide
- Endow– (verb) to endow/provide
- Indow– (verb-obsolete) variant of endow
- In-law– (noun) related by marriage
- Kapow– (interjection) used to represent the sound of an explosion
- Kotow (noun, verb) to fawn
- Macaw– (noun) species of parrots
- Miaow– (noun) sound made by a cat (British version)
- Minnow– (noun) small fish
- Narew– (pr. noun) name of a river in NE Poland
- Nohow– (adverb) in no manner or way.
- Oxbow– (noun) frame about an ox’s neck that holds the yoke.
- Papaw– (noun) type of tree/fruit.
- Pilaw– (noun) variant of pillaf a dish made of rice.
- Pshaw– (interjection) used to express irritation
- Renew– (verb) to make like new
- Resaw – (verb) to saw again
- Resew– (verb) to sew again
- Resow– (verb) to sow again
- Scraw– (no un) a piece of turf
- Screw– (noun, verb) a nail-shaped piece
- Scrow– (noun) variant of screw
- Serow– (noun) goat-like mammals
- Shrew– (noun) an ill-tempered woman
- Sinew– (noun) tendon
- Squaw– (noun) woman/wife (offensive)
- Straw– (noun) stalk of grain/plastic tube
- Strew– (verb) to scatter
- Strow– (verb) to scatter
- Sybow– (noun) onion (Scottish version)
- Theow– (noun) a British slave
- Thraw– (verb) to cause to turn/twist
- Threw– (verb) to propel forward/downward through the air
- Throw– (verb) as above
- Unlaw– (noun) lawlessness
- Unsaw– (verb) to fail to see
- Unsew– (verb) to undo/remove the sewing of
- Upbow– (noun) a stroke when playing a bowed instrument
- Vrouw– (noun) Afrikaner or Dutch woman
- Widow– (noun) a woman whose spouse has died
List of 5 Letter Words Ending in W
An interesting fact about 5 letter words ending in W!
In all words that end in “W”, a vowel comes before the last alphabet and never a consonant. This is despite “W” being regarded as a semivowel in English. Also, more often than not, the last “w” isn’t really pronounced (depending on which side of the Atlantic you are, of course). All you would hear when people use a word like “throw” is the vowel “o” as the final sound.
5 Letter Words Ending in W | Image
5 Letter Words Ending in W
Searches Related to 5 Letter Words Ending with W