Learn the difference between advisor vs. adviser. As with the other commonly confused words, advisor and adviser are very similar to one another, but how do you use them right? Will you blame your adviser or your advisor for your failures? Most likely your advisor.
Advisor vs. Adviser
You’re used to it by now: these words mean the same thing, “a person who gives advice in a particular field”. The case that was made on among and amongst can also be made here: they can be used interchangeably, but the context may differ a little.
When to Use Advisor
ADVISOR is the preferred word in official titles, probably because it is the modern variant of the word.
- The president’s advisor does a poor job.
- Do you have a financial advisor?
- Weinburger was an advisor to former president Ronald Reagan.
When to Use Adviser
ADVISER is the older and more commonly used word. All major English publications always use adviser in their work.
- I can always count on John to be my relationship adviser.
- She works as a special adviser to the President.
- If you are in any doubt, consult a financial adviser.
Tips for Using Adviser vs. Advisor
As I said, there is no difference between the two, but if you want to conform to the spelling norm of titles just remember this: advisor looks like supervisor and they are both job titles.
Advisor vs. Adviser Examples
- My financial advisor suggested we invest in convertible preferred stock.
- He was asked to act as an advisor on the project.
- My major task is to take care of her personal advisor.
- He had previously worked in the field as a futures dealer and investment advisor.
- He is my legal advisor.
- The firm employs the retired professor as an adviser.
- John Eatwell is an academic and former Labour economic adviser.
- The medical report will be submitted to our agency medical adviser.
- Her financial adviser warned her against such a risky investment.
- I’ll go and talk with my adviser.
How to Use Adviser vs. Advisor in English | Picture
Advisor or Adviser: Difference between Advisor vs. Adviser