All good things must come to an end is a term that you will hear very frequently in both written and spoken language. It is a very popular saying, but have you ever wondered where the term came from?
All Good Things Must Come To An End
All Good Things Must Come To An End Meaning
The meaning of this saying is rather simple, it talks about the fact that the great things in life cannot last forever and at some point will either fade away or end. It is a phrase which can make us think about appreciating the good things in life as we will not always have them.
Origin of this idiom
The term “all good things must come to an end” started of as simply “all things must come to an end.” It was first used by Geoffrey Chaucer in the 1300s and was introduced to the United States around 300 years later.
“All Good Things Must Come To An End” Examples
You could use this saying when talking to someone about a particular activity or item that they are indulging in, perhaps even taking for granted. You might say “Don’t get too attached to that fancy car, after all, all good things must come to an end.”
It could also be used to refer to the end of a happy period of time which is now over, for example, the end of a holiday “I enjoyed India so much, I’m quite sad to have to go home, but as they say all good things must come to an end.”
You are likely to hear this phrase used in conversation very frequently. But what might a conversation containing the phrase “all good things must come to an end” look like?
- Person 1: I am so sad that my relationship is over.
- Person 2: But it was good while it lasted, right?
- Person 1: Yes, and all good things must come to an end.
- Person 1: I am really enjoying this lottery win, I can buy anything I want.
- Person 2: That may be so but the money will run out eventually, all good things must come to an end.
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There is more than one way to express the meaning behind the term “all good things must come to an end”. Here are a couple of examples of how to say the term:
- There is an end to everything, good things as well.
- Nothing good lasts forever.
- Great things in life cannot last forever.
All Good Things Must Come To An End | Image
Last Updated on June 17, 2021