The acronym “AMA” can represent many different things. Here you will be given the meaning for the most common phrase that is represented by this acronym. You will also see some information about its origin and some other phrases that this term can stand for. You will find some example conversations also to help you gain a deeper understanding of the term. Finally, you will see some synonymous words or phrases that can be used as a substitution for the original phrase.
What Does AMA Mean?
This acronym is used to represent the phrase “ask me anything.”
Origin of AMA
The phrase represented by this term can be traced back on the internet to the 1990s. However, it has become popular in recent years due to the site Reddit. In 2005, the open forum Reddit, using many ideas combined from similar interviews in the past, launched its “Ask Me Anything” forum. Here users can post threads and users can ask that person anything they want about the subject of that post. Typically the threads declare themselves as an expert in a field and allow users to ask their questions about this field. The initial person to make the post decides the questions they want to answer. It is a popular site for celebrities to frequent for fan interviews.
This acronym can represent so many other businesses, associations, models, practices, etc. that there are too many to mention specifically here. Some of the more well-known optional phrases it can represent include the “American Medical Association,” “American Music Awards,” “Amateur Martial Arts,” “Advanced Medical Applications,” and “Art Museum of the Americas.”
A conversation taking place on a Reddit thread.
- User 1: I have a lot of experience being a mommy and a wife. AMA!
- User 2: What do you do in your free time to destress?
- User 3: What are the ages of your children?
- User 4: I am raising a teenager. Do you have any tips?
- User 1: Thank you for the questions! Assuming I have free time I like to read and write on my blog. I find either investing myself in fantasy or writing about my reality is the best way to destress. My kids’ ages are 2, 4, 5, and 7. I have yet to raise a teenager, but I know it can be challenging. There are some great resources on the internet and other Redditors that can help you with that question.
An online conversation on Twitter.
- User 1: I am here, y’all! AMA!!
- User 2: No one cares!
- User 1: Oh, bite me!
Other Ways to Say “AMA”
There are some synonymous phrases that you could use to replace the phrase that this acronym represents. Some of the phrases you could use in its place include:
- ask me everything
- inquire about anything
- no question refused, ask away
AMA Meaning Infographic