Exploring different ways to express the act of examining or studying something in detail can be quite fascinating. When we discuss the verb “analyze,” we are referring to the process of breaking down a complex subject into its smaller parts to understand it better. To avoid repetition or to express the nuances of the process, we often seek out synonyms that capture the essence of what it means to analyze something.
What Is “Analyze”?
The verb analyze involves examining something methodically by breaking it down into its parts to understand it, or to find the meaning or relationships amongst the parts. It’s often used in scientific and technical contexts, as well as in literary analysis, business, and everyday problem-solving.
List of Synonyms for Analyze
- Delve into
- Break down
- Look into
- Go over
- Check out
- Pore over
- Size up
- Think through
- Reflect on
- Work over
- Inquire into
- Check over
- Go through
- Sort out
- Take apart
- Think about
- Chew over
- Dig into
- Weigh up
- Pick apart
- Figure out
- Check up on
- Look over
- Forensically examine
- Dissect the details
- Make a diagnosis
- Run over
- Mull over
- Rummage through
- Map out
- Take stock of
- Take measure of
- Give the once-over
- Put under a microscope
Types of Synonyms for Analyze
Understanding or Interpreting
Judging or Evaluating
Testing or Experimenting
Common Synonyms for Analyze
Analyze vs. Examine
When we analyze something, we are conducting a detailed and systematic study of it. Conversely, to examine is to inspect it closely, often to search for quality or condition.
- “We will analyze the data using statistical methods to understand the underlying patterns.”
- “Before making a decision, we must examine all the documents carefully.”
Analyze vs. Investigate
Analyzing involves breaking down a complex topic into simpler parts to gain a better understanding. Investigating, however, implies a systematic or formal inquiry, especially to uncover the truth.
- “For our thesis, we need to analyze the effects of social media on communication.”
- “Our team will investigate the cause of the recent cyber breach.”
Analyze vs. Assess
When we analyze, we’re looking at each component and the relationships between them. When we assess, we are evaluating or estimating the nature, ability, or quality of something.
- “It’s our job to analyze the design of the building for any potential structural weaknesses.”
- “After the pilot project, we need to assess its effectiveness before a full rollout.”
Analyze vs. Evaluate
Analyzing often involves study and breaking down information into parts for understanding. Evaluating something means judging its significance, worth, or condition, often after an analysis.
- “We will analyze these survey results to see the common responses about our product.”
- “Teachers evaluate students’ assignments to determine their grasp of the subject matter.”
Synonyms for Analyze in Different Contexts
- Examine: “We will examine the archaeological artefacts to determine their origin.”
- Investigate: “Our team plans to investigate the correlation between sleep and memory retention.”
- Evaluate: “We must evaluate the market before launching our new product.”
- Assess: “Quarterly, we assess our financial position to inform budgeting decisions.”
- Assay: “The chemist assays the solution to determine its purity.”
- Dissect: “Students will dissect the argument to identify its key components.”
- Deconstruct: “Engineers deconstruct the code to isolate the bug causing malfunctions.”
- Scrutinize: “It is crucial to scrutinize these schematics for any design flaws.”
Absolute and Near Synonyms of Analyze
Absolute Synonyms for Analyze
|Examine||Inspect or look at closely and thoroughly|
|Investigate||Carry out a systematic or formal inquiry to discover facts|
|Assess||Evaluate or estimate the nature, ability, or quality of|
|Review||Survey or evaluate a subject critically|
|Inspect||Look at closely in order to assess condition or quality|
Near Synonyms for Analyze
|Evaluate||Judge or determine the significance, worth, or quality of|
|Interpret||Explain the meaning of; make sense of|
|Dissect||Examine in great detail and methodically|
|Deconstruct||Take apart in order to reveal the underlying structure or to understand something deeply|
|Diagnose||Identify the nature of (an issue, problem, etc.) by examination of the symptoms|
Synonyms for Analyze with Examples | Infographic
Frequently Asked Questions
What are alternative words one could use in place of ‘analyze’?
We can substitute ‘analyze’ with several alternatives such as ‘evaluate,’ ‘investigate,’ ‘assess,’ ‘examine,’ and ‘dissect.’ Each of these words brings a slight variation to the context in which ‘analyze’ is used.
Could you list some synonyms for the term ‘analysis’?
Some synonyms for ‘analysis’ include ‘examination,’ ‘investigation,’ ‘evaluation,’ ‘inspection,’ and ‘assessment.’ These terms are often used interchangeably in different areas of study or work.
What terms convey a meaning similar to ‘evaluate’?
When we aim to convey a meaning similar to ‘evaluate,’ we might use words like ‘appraise,’ ‘assess,’ ‘rate,’ ‘review,’ or ‘judge.’ These synonyms suggest careful consideration or estimation of something.
In what sentences might one commonly use synonyms of ‘analyze’?
We often use synonyms of ‘analyze’ in sentences where detailed examination is implied, such as “The committee will evaluate the proposal’s merits,” or “The mechanic inspected the engine for faults.”
What opposite meanings are there compared to ‘analysis’?
Opposite meanings to ‘analysis’ might be ‘synthesis,’ ‘combination,’ or ‘compendium.’ Whereas ‘analysis’ involves breaking down, these terms suggest bringing together or summarizing parts into a whole.
How is ‘analyze’ classified in terms of parts of speech?
‘Analyze’ is classified as a verb in English. It is an action word that describes the process of examining something systematically and in detail to understand it better or to draw conclusions.
- Intersex Meaning: What Does the Term “Intersex” Actually Mean? - June 4, 2023
- Woke Meaning: What Does the Slang Term “Woke” Mean? - June 4, 2023
- Evil Eye Meaning | What Does the Term “Evil Eye” Mean? - June 4, 2023