If you are an avid exerciser, you might find yourself in the situation of needing a new pair of athletic shoes. However, there are more than one types, there are shoes for running, soccer and much more. In this section, you will learn the names of the various types of athletic shoes in English. This is a great way to add more words to your vocabulary as well as giving you the upper hand in sounding more native.
List of Sport Shoes
- Chuck Taylor
- Golf shoes
- Hiking boots
- Running shoes
- Climbing shoes
- Soccer shoes
- Sneakers (U.S)/ Trainers (U.K)
- Old skool
- Basketball shoes
Types of Athletic Shoes with Pictures
Athletic shoes are specifically designed to be worn for participating in various sports. Since friction between the foot and the ground is an important force in most sports, modern athletic shoes are designed to maximize this force, and materials, such as rubber, are used.
A type of basketball shoe made famous by the American basketball player Chuck Taylor.
- Example: I love playing basketball in my Chuck Taylor shoes.
Shoes designed specifically for playing golf, with spikes on the sole to provide better traction on the grass.
- Example: I need to buy a new pair of golf shoes before my next round.
Sturdy boots are designed for hiking and other outdoor activities, with good ankle support and a rugged sole for better grip on uneven terrain.
- Example sentence: I always wear my hiking boots when I go on long hikes in the mountains.
Shoes that cover the ankle and provide extra support, often worn for basketball or other sports that require quick movements and changes of direction.
- Example: I prefer to wear high-tops when I play basketball to prevent ankle injuries.
Shoes designed for running, with cushioning and support to reduce impact on the feet and legs.
- Example: I just bought a new pair of running shoes for my morning jogs.
Shoes designed for rock climbing, with a sticky rubber sole for better grip on the rock surface.
- Example: I always wear my climbing shoes when I go bouldering at the gym.
Shoes designed for playing soccer, with cleats on the sole to provide better traction on the grass.
- Example: I need to get new soccer shoes before the season starts.
Sneakers (U.S)/ Trainers (U.K)
Casual shoes are designed for everyday wear, often made of canvas or leather with a rubber sole.
- Example: I wear my sneakers to the gym and when I’m running errands.
A type of skateboarding shoe made popular by the Vans brand, with a low profile and canvas upper.
- Example: I love the retro look of my old skool Vans.
Shoes designed specifically for playing basketball, with a high-top design and good ankle support.
- Example: My basketball shoes are starting to wear out, I need to buy a new pair.
Shoes with blades on the sole designed for ice-skating, used for figure skating, ice hockey, or recreational skating.
- Example: I love going ice-skating with my friends in the winter.
Types of Shoes
Learn different types of shoes in English
- List of shoe names with pictures.
- Types of heels in English.
- Types of boots with pictures.
- Athletic shoes vocabulary in English.
- Rapport Meaning: What Does the Term “Rapport” Mean? - November 28, 2023
- Solidarity Meaning: What’s the Definition of the Term “Solidarity”? - November 28, 2023
- Compassion Meaning: What Does “Compassion” Mean? - November 28, 2023