When the leaves begin falling from the trees and the nights start getting darker, you know that autumn is on its way. However, are you able to freely talk about this season when speaking in English?
If the answer is no, then do not worry, this section will provide you with a good list of autumn words and phrases to add to your vocabulary. This will help you to be able to talk about the season as well as events which take place at this time of year such as Halloween.
Common Autumn Vocabulary Words List
Learn Autumn vocabulary words in English with images and examples to improve and enlarge your vocabulary about seasons words in English.
- Apple harvest
- Falling leaves
- Back to school
Autumn Words with Pictures and Examples
“Apple harvest” refers to the gathering of ripe apples from apple trees. It is usually done during the autumn season when the apples are fully matured.
- Example: The farmers were busy with the apple harvest as they picked baskets full of juicy apples from the orchard.
“Falling leaves” refers to the natural process of leaves falling from trees during the autumn season. As the weather gets colder and days get shorter, trees start to prepare for the winter by shedding their leaves.
- Example: Walking through the park, I could hear the sound of falling leaves rustling under my feet as I kicked my way through the colorful piles.
A pumpkin is a large round fruit with a hard, smooth skin that is typically orange in color. It is a popular ingredient in many dishes, especially during the fall season. Pumpkins are also used for carving during Halloween to make jack-o’-lanterns.
- Example: I’m going to the farmer’s market to buy a pumpkin so I can make a delicious pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving dinner.
Halloween is a holiday celebrated annually on October 31st. It originated from ancient Celtic traditions and is now popularly associated with costumes, trick-or-treating, haunted houses, and horror movies.
- Example: Every year on Halloween, my friends and I dress up in our scariest costumes and go to haunted houses to get a good scare.
Back to school
“Back to school” refers to the period in late summer or early fall when students return to school after the summer break. This is a time when students and teachers prepare for the new academic year and get back into the routine of attending classes and studying.
- Example: The stores are filled with school supplies and backpacks as families prepare for the back to school season.
“Corns” refer to a type of vegetable that is harvested in the fall. Corn, also known as maize, is a tall cereal plant that produces large ears of kernels that can be eaten fresh, canned, or dried.
- Example: In the fall, farmers harvest fields of ripe corns and sell them at local markets, where people can buy them to make delicious corn on the cob or to use in other recipes.
An acorn is the nut of an oak tree, enclosed in a rough, woody outer shell. They are typically small, round, and brown in color. Acorns are an important food source for many animals, including squirrels, deer, and birds, and have been used by humans in the past as a source of food as well.
- Example: The forest floor was covered with fallen leaves and acorns, which had dropped from the oak trees overhead.
100 Common Autumn Words in English
Here is a list of 100 common Autumn-related words in English:
- September equinox
- Harvest moon
- Apple cider donuts
- Apple picking
- Corn maze
- Farmer’s market
- Harvest festivals
- Wine tasting
- Hay bales
- Harvest season
- Harvest time
- Harvest home
- Harvest moonlight
- Winter preparation
- Autumn crocus
Seasons Vocabulary | Video
Seasons list with examples and images in English.
- List of Spring words with pictures.
- Summer words in English.
- Autumn words with images.
- Winter words in English with pictures.
- Intersex Meaning: What Does the Term “Intersex” Actually Mean? - June 4, 2023
- Woke Meaning: What Does the Slang Term “Woke” Mean? - June 4, 2023
- Evil Eye Meaning | What Does the Term “Evil Eye” Mean? - June 4, 2023