Have you heard the phrase bad apple being used in a conversation and pondered over the meaning of this term? We are going to take a look at what this phrase means as well as taking a look at where the phrase came from in the first place. To further understand how the term works, we will also be looking at some examples of the phrase being used.
Bad Apple Meaning
The meaning of the phrase bad apple refers to a person who is no good, commits crime or lives in a less than desirable way and who may influence or spoil other people or a situation.
Origin of this English idiom
The idiomatic term “bad apple” can find its origins from the phrase ‘one bad apple might spoil the entire cart’ which referred to a literal apple which had gone bad and contaminated the rest in the cart.
“Bad Apple” Examples
Examples in Statements
We are now going to see some examples of how the term bad apple can work in a sentence.
The first statement is being made by a teacher.
- Mark is influencing the other children to be naughty, he must leave the school as he is nothing more than a bad apple.
The next sentence is one being said by a mother.
- I don’t want you seeing that girl anymore, she is a bad apple.
You may hear the term bad apple being used in different conversations, but in order to further understand how the term works, it is important to look at some examples.
The first conversation is taking place between some people in the workplace.
- Person 1: “Dean keeps ruining all the hard work that the rest of the team puts in.”
- Person 2: “He shouldn’t be here, he is going to wreck everything we have worked for.”
- Person 3: “I will report this to the boss and make him aware of this bad apple.”
The next conversation is happening between two friends.
- Person 1: “Sarah keeps gossiping between all of our friends.”
- Person 2: “She is going to turn everyone against each other.”
- Person 1: “She certainly is a bad apple who doesn’t belong in this group.”
Other Ways to Say the Idiom
Here are some examples of other things you might say in place of the term bad apple but which carry the same meaning.
- Bad influence
- Rotten egg
- Bad influence
- Bad character
- Disgraceful person
- Bad guy
Bad Apple Definition | Image