What does Baller mean? This article provides the definition and usage of this internet slang term with ESL infographic and interesting conversation examples in English. Originally an Ethnic slang word that received plenty of usage online during the 1990s and until today.
What Does Baller Mean?
Baller refers to anyone who has “made” it in life, normally being financially successful with or without fame, but had to start from the bottom. “Rags to Riches” is a phrase that would best be used to describe someone who is a baller. Baller can also be used as an adjective to describe someone who is successful or someone who is successful but also willing to take risks.
Origin of Baller
Early evidence for baller comes from the 1970s and 1980s and referred to drug dealers who would eventually become successful. There is an argument, however, that baller does not originate from drug dealers and instead basketball players who would find fame and fortune in their sport after starting from nothing. Baller became very popular slang among African-Americans during the late 1980s and into the 1990s, especially with the rise of rap music which would frequently feature rap artist describing themselves as “ballers”. Unlike a lot of ethnic slang, baller soon took off among White, Hispanic, and Asians.
Typically baller is used as slang for someone who plays basketball, normally professional basketball. There is no other recorded usage.
Online Discussion Board
- User 1: Did I ever tell you how much of a baller my brother was in Middle School?
- User 2: No.
- User 3: Nope.
- User 4: You haven’t.
- User 1: So this little MF knew about those knock-off LEGOs you can get from China. He would save up his allowance to order the bootleg sets, take the minifigures out, and go around school selling them for fifty percent or more than what he paid.
- User 3: Damn, that’s a baller.
- User 4: Did he get caught?
- User 1: Not by the school, but my mom put a stop to it.
- User 2: Pain is part of a baller’s life.
Comments on a YouTube Video
- Comment 1: Man, Little G is such a baller.
- Comment 2: No he isn’t. He’s just a poser.
- Comment 3: No, dude, he’s not.
- Comment 1: Little G is a baller. Neither of his parents were around and he had to take care of his brother. To become a rap star from that is true baller attitude.
Other Ways to Say the Slang Word
Baller can be spelled with both a lowercase or capital B. No other variants exist for this word.