What does BANANA HAMMOCK mean? Learn the definition, usage and useful similar terms for this online slang term in English with interesting conversation examples and ESL infographic.
BANANA HAMMOCK Meaning
What Does BANANA HAMMOCK Mean?
While visions of the kitchen come to mind with the use of a ‘banana hammock’, it is far from a sling for bananas. Instead, it is the slang term for a man’s thong. This is a literal sling for holding a man’s private parts. The g-string or speedo version of a bathing suit made suitable for displaying a man’s business in a more prominent display.
Origin of BANANA HAMMOCK
This term for speedo or thong because of the way they hold a penis. The first mention of ‘banana hammock’ began in 1988 when a company used the term as a brand for its products. Then an article by Newsweek in 1990 referenced the slang term as a way to describe a man’s speedo. This term was considered lifeguard language and soon became the butt of many comedians jokes.
How you will find the phrase ‘banana hammock’ used.
- Girl 1: I love the beach.
- Girl 2: Until you see something like that.
- Girl 1: Oh my gosh, he isn’t wearing that is he.
- Girl 2: I may go blind, that isn’t something I wanted to see.
- Girl 3: (Running up to her friends while laughing) Hey girls check out the banana hammock of that old dude.
A group of friends trying to enjoy their day on the beach can’t help but be a little weirded out from an old man wearing a speedo.
- Texter 1: Did you see that dude that jogged by my house today?
- Texter 2: You mean the one in those red shorts?
- Texter 1: Yeah that one.
- Texter 2: Hot wasn’t he…
- Texter 1: And OMG that banana hammock.
- Texter 2: Totally worth the bus running late.
Here you have two young girls talking about a guy who jogged past their houses while they were waiting on the bus for school. They talk about how hot and attractive he was, not to mention how he was wearing extremely tight shorts.
- omg – Oh My God or Oh My Gosh
- Football Coach : Good work boys, now go get changed.
- Guy 1: That was an awesome practice dude.
- Guy 2: I know right.
- Guy 3: NO NO NO! Dude those are way to tight.
- Guy 1: What?
- Guy 2: Dude he means your underwear, come on hide that banana hammock.
A boy’s football team in the locker room after a long practice, when getting changed will tend to pick on each other for what they wear. Especially if one of them is wearing very tight underwear.