Unless you live somewhere in Canada, then the acronym “BDV” will be an acronym that you and most other people are not familiar with the meaning of. If that is the case, but you have heard or seen it used and want to know the meaning, then your quest has ended where X marks the spot. Here you will find the meaning of this term, accompanied by some information regarding its origin and some other meanings. You will also see some example conversations to help you see how the term is used correctly in context and help you gain a better understanding of its meaning. In conclusion, you will learn of some synonymous phrases that you can use in place of this term and the phrase it represents because they share the same meaning.
What Does BDV Mean?
This acronym is used in text messages and online to represent the phrase “bon dieut voit.” This term translates to “God sees” and it is used in the same sense that “I swear” or “for real” are used in conversation.
Origin of BDV
The acronym and the phrase it stands for were derived from the French language and were first recorded being used in the city of Ottawa in Canada. Usage of both have now spread across many cities in Canada, where it is standard to speak both French and English.
As is the case with most other acronyms, this one is no different because it can represent some other things as well. Some other things this acronym can represent are official titles, processes, practices, etc. For instance, this term can also stand for “Borna Disease Virus,” “Breakdown Voltage,” “Base Design Value,” “Basic Distance Verification,” and “Binary Decision Variable.” These are just a few of the terms that this acronym can represent and is not an all-inclusive representation.
A conversation between two friends via text message.
- Friend 1: BDV, if one more person tells me what I should do with my life I am going to do something drastic.
- Friend 2: Woah, calm down! Is everything okay?
- Friend 1: No! I am so tired of being treated like a child. I graduate this year and my parents still treat me like I am five and have no idea what I am doing!
A discussion online between two Twitter users.
- User 1: My brother is so dumb!
- User 2: BDV! I can relate. This morning I got in trouble for something that was his fault.
- User 1: Same here, and now I am grounded for a week because my parents believe him and not me.
Synonyms of BDV
There are some phrases that you can use in place of this acronym and the phrase that it stands for that will not change its meaning. Some other phrases that you could use in its place include:
- for real
- I swear
- I swear to God
BDV Meaning Infographic