The phrase be all and end all might be regularly heard during day to day conversation but what does this term mean? We are going to find out the meaning of this phrase as well as finding out where it originally came from. We are also going to take a look at some examples of how the phrase can be used within a conversation and a sentence.
Be All and End All
Be All and End All Meaning
The term be all and end all refers to an end point, something which has more importance than anything else.
Origin of this useful term
The term be all and end all finds its origins in literature, in the play Macbeth written by William Shakespeare.
“Be All and End All” Examples
Examples in Statements
We will now look at some examples of sentences in which the term be all and end all might appear.
The first statement is being made in a blog post.
- When cooking this dish, the paprika is the be all and end all when it comes to flavour.
The next sentence is being said by a mother to her son.
- You must not forget to attend this exam, it is the be all and end all if you want to progress in your career.
There are many times in which the term be all and end all might show up in a conversation. Let’s take a look at some examples of this now.
The first conversation is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “I am going to meet my boyfriend’s parents this weekend.”
- Person 2: “Oh wow, impressing them is the be all and end all for your relationship.”
The next conversation is one which is happening between a teacher and student.
- Person 1: “I really want to be a doctor when I leave school.”
- Person 2: “You can do that.”
- Person 1: “What do I need to do?”
- Person 2: “Well, you need to go to university so getting good grades will be the be all and end all for you.”
- I don’t think it is the be all and end all of the online travel. It is an important product in our portfolio for consumers and suppliers.
Other Ways to Say the Idiom
There are many other ways in which you could refer to the meaning of the phrase be all and end all, let’s take a look at some examples of how you might do this.
- The most important thing
- Something crucial