If you have ever heard the term ‘beck and call’, you may be wondering what it means and how to use it in conversation. Or perhaps you are wondering where this saying came from. Let’s take a look at this term and what it means.
Beck And Call
Beck And Call Meaning
When we say that someone is at someone else’s ‘beck and call’ we are talking about how they will do anything that persons asks and it is expected that will be the case. For example, if you were to have a friend at your beck and call, that friend would perform any task you asked them to do and would do it right away.
Origin of this idiom
The term beck and call can be dated back to the 1800s when the word beck was a shorted term for ‘beckon.’ When we beckon someone, we are calling them to service or asking them to come to you.
“Beck And Call” Examples
You might use the term beck and call when talking about someone who is a bit of a pushover to a certain persons requests, for example you might say ‘Peter is forever running to Susan any time she asks him to, she’s got him at her beck and call.’
- Don’t expect to have me at your beck and call.
- I’m not at your beck and call, you know.
- I was tired of being at her beck and call all day long.
- The king has always had servants at his beck and call.
- Or take a portfolio manager who has worked for a large company with 30 analysts at her beck and call.
If you are unsure of how the helpful idiomatic phrase beck and call would fit into conversation, some of these examples will help you to understand how to use the phrase better.
- Person 1: “I miss my ex boyfriend.”
- Person 2: “Why do you miss him?”
- Person 1: “He used to do everything for me.”
- Person 2: “Sounds like you had him at your every beck and call.”
- Person 1: “I am so tired of Emily, she is forever demanding I do things for her.”
- Person 2: “And do you do them?”
- Person 1: “Yes.”
- Person: “You’re at her beck and call.”
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are other ways in which you might express the meaning of the term ‘beck and call.’ Some examples of these ways might be;
- She has him at her disposal
- He is her errand boy