Many people spend a lot of time in their bedrooms and these spaces are often a sanctuary. If you wish to talk about your bedroom, perhaps what items are included in there, then knowing the correct English words for this is going to be of great benefit to you.
In this section, we’ll teach you the essential bedroom furniture vocabulary you need to know to design your dream bedroom.
In the bedroom, there are many typical furniture, such as air-conditioner, upholstered bench, dressing table, nightstand, …
Things in the Bedroom
- Clothes valet
- Anglepoise lamp/ Balanced-arm lamp
- Cot (U.K)/ Crib (U.S)
- Upholstered bench
- Bedside table
- Bureau (U.K)/ Desk (U.S)
- Chest of drawers (U.K)/ Dresser (U.S)
- Hat stand
- Dressing table
- Table lamp
- Ironing board
- Hope chest
Learn these bedroom objects to enhance your vocabulary in English.
Bedroom Furniture with Pictures and Examples
An air-conditioner is a device that is used to cool and dehumidify the air in a room or building. It works by removing heat and moisture from the air and circulating cool air back into the space.
- Example: She turned on the air-conditioner to cool down the room on a hot summer day.
A clothes valet is a stand or piece of furniture that is used to hang clothes and accessories, such as jackets, ties, and hats. It is often used in bedrooms or dressing rooms to keep clothes organized and wrinkle-free.
- Example: He placed his suit jacket on the clothes valet and hung his tie and belt on the hooks, ready for the next day.
A bed is a piece of furniture that is used for sleeping or resting. It typically consists of a frame, a mattress, and bedding such as sheets and pillows.
- Example: She crawled into bed and pulled the covers up to her chin, ready for a good night’s sleep.
Anglepoise lamp/ Balanced-arm lamp
An Anglepoise lamp is a type of desk lamp that has a flexible arm and adjustable springs, allowing it to be positioned and directed in various directions and angles.
- Example: He adjusted the Anglepoise lamp to shine directly on his work, providing optimal lighting for his task.
Cot (U.K)/ Crib (U.S)
A cot is a small portable bed that is often used for infants or young children. It typically has a frame made of metal or wood and a mattress made of foam or fabric.
- Example: She put the baby down in the cot for a nap and watched as he drifted off to sleep.
An upholstered bench is a long seat with a cushioned top and often has legs or a base made of wood or metal. It is typically used for seating in living rooms, bedrooms, or entryways.
- Example: She placed an upholstered bench at the foot of her bed to add a stylish and functional touch to her bedroom.
A bedside table is a small table that is typically placed next to a bed and used for holding items such as a lamp, books, or an alarm clock.
- Example: She reached over to the bedside table to turn off the lamp and settled in for a good night’s sleep.
A bookshelf is a piece of furniture with horizontal shelves used for storing books or other items.
- Example: She organized her collection of books on the bookshelf by genre and author for easy access.
Bureau (U.K)/ Desk (U.S)
A bureau is a type of desk or cabinet with drawers used for storing clothes, documents, or other items.
- Example: She placed her jewelry and accessories in the top drawer of the bureau and folded her clothes in the other drawers.
Chest of drawers (U.K)/ Dresser (U.S)
A chest of drawers is a piece of furniture with multiple drawers used for storing clothes or other items. It is typically taller than a bureau and may have a mirror attached to the top.
- Example: He organized his socks and underwear in the top drawer of the chest of drawers and his shirts and pants in the other drawers.
A clock is a device used for measuring and displaying time, typically consisting of a dial or digital display and one or more hands or numbers that indicate the hours, minutes, and seconds.
- Example: She glanced at the clock on the wall and realized she was running late for her appointment.
A fan is a device that is used to circulate air and provide a cooling effect. It typically has rotating blades or vanes that move the air in a specific direction.
- Example: She turned on the fan to cool down the room on a hot summer day.
A pillow is a cushioned support for the head or other parts of the body, typically used for sleeping or resting. It is often filled with materials such as feathers, down, or synthetic fibers.
- Example: She fluffed up her pillow and settled in for a good night’s sleep.
A hat stand is a freestanding piece of furniture with multiple hooks or pegs used for holding hats, coats, or other accessories.
- Example: She hung her hat and scarf on the hat stand by the door and headed out into the cold winter weather.
A dressing table is a piece of furniture with drawers and a mirror, used for storing cosmetics, jewelry, and other personal items and for getting ready in the morning.
- Example: She sat at the dressing table and applied her makeup while admiring her reflection in the mirror.
A table lamp is a small lamp that is designed to sit on a table or desk, providing additional lighting to a room. It typically has a base, a stem, and a shade that directs the light in a specific direction.
- Example: She turned on the table lamp to read her book in the cozy armchair.
A mirror is a reflective surface that is typically made of glass or metal and used for seeing one’s reflection. It can be used for personal grooming, decoration, or to make a space appear larger.
- Example: She looked at herself in the mirror and adjusted her hair before heading out the door.
Curtains are a window covering made of fabric that can be drawn open or closed to control the amount of light and privacy in a room.
- Example: She opened the curtains to let in the sunlight and enjoy the beautiful view of the garden.
An ironing board is a flat, padded surface used for ironing clothes. It typically has adjustable legs and a cover made of heat-resistant fabric.
- Example: She set up the ironing board in the laundry room and ironed her clothes before hanging them in the closet.
Television, also known as TV, is an electronic device used for broadcasting and receiving visual and audio content, such as news, entertainment, and educational programs.
- Example: They gathered around the television to watch their favorite movie and enjoy some popcorn.
A telephone is a device used for transmitting sound, typically used to communicate with someone who is not physically present. It allows people to talk to each other over long distances.
- Example: She picked up the telephone and dialed her friend’s number to chat about their plans for the weekend.
A hope chest is a storage chest or trunk, traditionally used by young women to collect items such as clothing, linens, and household goods in anticipation of marriage.
- Example: She opened her grandmother’s hope chest and found a collection of hand-embroidered linens that had been passed down through the family.
A picture is a visual representation of something or someone, typically created through painting, drawing, or photography. It is often used for decoration or to capture a moment in time.
- Example: They hung a picture of their family on the wall to add a personal touch to the living room.
A nightstand is a small table or cabinet typically placed next to a bed, used for holding items such as a lamp, books, or an alarm clock.
- Example: She reached over to the nightstand to turn off the lamp and settled in for a good night’s sleep.
Bedroom Objects Vocabulary | Video
Learn bedroom objects video with American English pronunciation.
Learn different types of furniture in English with examples and pictures.
- List of baby furniture and accessories in English
- Types of chairs with pictures
- Types of tables vocabulary
- Living room furniture in English
- Bedroom furniture vocabulary
Frequently Asked Questions
What are common items found in a bedroom?
In a bedroom, you’ll typically find items such as a bed (with a mattress, pillows, and blankets), a wardrobe or dresser for storing clothes, bedside tables, an alarm clock, reading lamps, and potentially some decorative items like artwork or a mirror. Some people also opt for having a desk, a chair, or a small seating area in their bedrooms.
How can I maximize space in a small bedroom?
To make the most of a small bedroom, you can focus on utilizing vertical space with tall shelves, hanging organizers, or wall-mounted furniture. Opt for multipurpose furniture, like a bed with built-in storage or a fold-out desk. Keep the room clutter-free and consider light-colored walls and simple dÃ©cor to create the illusion of a larger space.
What materials are typically used for bedroom furniture?
Bedroom furniture can be made from a variety of materials, including wood (solid wood, composite wood, and particleboard), metal (such as iron, steel, or aluminum), glass, and plastics. When choosing furniture, consider the style, durability, and maintenance requirements for each material.
What styles are popular for bedroom decor?
Popular bedroom decor styles include contemporary, traditional, rustic, modern, and minimalist. Each style has its own distinct characteristics and color schemes. Opt for a style that reflects your personal tastes and creates a relaxing, comfortable environment for you to rest in.
How can I effectively organize my bedroom?
Organization is key in a bedroom. Start by purging unnecessary items and decluttering the space. Use furniture like wardrobes, dressers, or under-bed storage to create designated areas for belongings. Utilize wall-mounted or over-the-door organizers for additional storage. Create a system that works for your needs, whether it’s by categorizing items or prioritizing them based on frequency of use.
What are essential pieces for a master bedroom?
A master bedroom should have essential furniture pieces such as a bed, nightstands, a wardrobe or dresser for clothes storage, and adequate lighting. Additional elements like a comfortable chair for reading or relaxing, a vanity or dressing table, and an area rug can enhance the overall comfort and functionality of the space. The key is to create a setting that feels both inviting and tailored to your preferences.
Bedroom Furniture Vocabulary Practice
Drag and Drop
Last Updated on November 10, 2023
- Clam vs. Oyster: Difference between Oyster and Clam - December 25, 2023
- Leniency Meaning: What Does “Leniency” Mean? - December 15, 2023
- Rapport Meaning: What Does the Term “Rapport” Mean? - November 28, 2023