What does BFF mean? Are you searching for the meaning of this texting abbreviation? Learn the definition and how to use the online slang word with ESL picture and conversation examples.
What Does BFF Mean?
“Best Friends Forever” is the definition of ‘bff’.
A term used to best describe that one fiend in your life to whom you can share everything with from fears, passions, to your deepest secrets. Not to mention a ‘bff’ is someone who will always be by your side even if you don’t speak on a daily bases. Your best friend forever will even forgive you when making mistakes, where other friends may not.
On an extremely rare occasion ‘bff’ has been known to be used by mean girls in school. Using the phrase to mean ‘Big Fat Freak’ instead of the sentimental version ‘Best Friends Forever’. Using it to bully other girls without the teachers catching on.
Origin of BFF
The phrase ‘bff’ was first published in September of 2010 in the New Oxford Ameican Dictionary and states the acronym was founded in the year 1996. The first time it was really brought to life on television was in 1997 with actress Lisa Kudrow, who frequently uses it on the hit show Friends while playing as her character Phoebe Buffay. Many shows follow the example made by the writers of Friends, including one episode of Spongebob Squarepants where Spongebob and Patrick make ‘bff’ rings while swearing to be friends forever.
Now let us see the many ways this internet slang word is commonly used.
- Texter 1: Hey girl how are you?
- Texter 2: I’m alright.
- Texter 1: Don’t lie to me I’m your bff!
- Texter 1: Serious I know you too well.
A simple conversation between friends, one is having a rough day and trying to hide the fact from her friend. However, the one informs her she can’t because they are best friends forever and know each other too well to try and keep secrets.
- Emailer 1: Hey it’s been too long how is the family?
- Emailer 2: We are good, hbu?
- Emailer 1: You know just living my life.
- Emailer 2: Like always, I love you so much and miss your face.
- Emailer 1: Same, can’t wait to see you this weekend.
- Emailer 2: I know my hubby can’t wait to meet my high school bff.
Here you have two girls emailing back and forth as if no time had ever passed and miss hanging out in person. One is getting ready to meet the other one’s new husband.
- hbu – How Bout You or How About You
Now a quick look at how ‘bff’ is used in the rare form when meaning the version ‘Big Fat Freak’.
- Girl 1: OMG I just hate her.
- Girl 2: Me too, she is such a loser.
- Girl 1: I don’t even know how she fits in that chair.
- Girl 2: I know right, she is such a bff.
Here you have two girls talking about another girl who is slightly overweight and they make fun of her and dislike her for that fact, resulting in them being your average bullies.
- Best Foot Forward
- Best Female Friend
- Backup File Format
- Boy Friend Forever
- Baltimore Forty Five
- Ben’s First Fans
- Backstabbing Fake Friend
- Best Feline Friend
- Bank Failure Friday
- Backends for Frontends
- Best Freaking Friends
- Best Friends Funeral
BFF Meaning Infographic