The slang term “Bilo” may be used commonly by many people who happen to be fans of one particular movie character. If you have experienced a run-in with this term and find yourself wondering what it could mean, then you have come to the right place. Here you will find the meaning of this slang term, the story behind its origin, and some other meanings if there are any that exist. This will be followed up with some example sentences so you can see the term used in context for better understanding and some alternative words and phrases you can use in place of this slang term to convey the same meaning.
What Does Bilo Mean?
The slang term “Bilo” means someone or something stupid or idiotic.
The slang term “Bilo” is not a new phrase that is being used. It has been used since 2006 by fans of the movie Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. The movie focused on the adventures of the lead fictional character Borat Sagdiyev, portrayed by British comedian Sasha Baron Cohen, as he traveled around the U.S. pretending to be a Russian while interacting with unsuspecting Americans.
The film was inspired by his character on the Da Ali G Show and was followed up with three additional movies due to its success. During this time the audience learns that Borat has a brother named Bilo who he describes as being stupid and retarded. Since then, the phrase has been used to describe other people whose actions can be described as stupid and idiotic.
In Slovenian, the word “bilo” means “either.” Bilo is also the name of a popular grocery chain in the south. Bilo is also the name given to a mountain ridge along the Balkan peninsula. In Fiji, a bilo is half a coconut shell that is used for holding beverages.
A text conversation between two friends:
- Friend 1: Did you see what Marty did today in the cafeteria?
- Friend 2: No! I must have missed it talking to Diane the whole time. What happened?
- Friend 1: Oh nothing major, it was just funny. He put ham on his face and some grapes up his nose. One got stuck! LOL!
- Friend 2: OMG! He is such a Bilo!
An online conversation between two Facebook users:
- User 1: Boy, you are going to break the internet if you keep posting those videos of you doing stupid crap!
- User 2: I know! I am such a Bilo!
- User 1: Just try not to break your face in the process okay?
Alternatives to “Bilo”
There are many words that you can replace the slang term “bilo” within conversation and relay the same meaning. Some of the words or phrases you can use include:
- so stupid
- such an idiot
- you have the intellect of a cantaloupe
Bilo Meaning Infographic