In English conversation, the term birthday suit is a regular saying, but what is the meaning of this idiom? We are going to take a look at what this term means as well looking at where it first came from. We will also see some examples of how the term can work in a conversation.
Birthday Suit Meaning
The term birthday suit refers to being naked.
Origin of the saying
The origin of the term birthday suit comes from the fact the when you are born (your birthday) you are not wearing any clothes.
“Birthday Suit” Examples
Examples in Statements
We are now going to look at some examples of how the term birthday suit can work in a sentence.
The first statement is being made by a wife about her husband.
- He comes home drunk most weekends and I find him asleep on the sofa in his birthday suit.
The next sentence is being made in a text message.
- I made such a faux pas, everyone else in the sauna was wearing swimsuits and I turned up in my birthday suit.
There are many conversations in which the phrase birthday suit might appear. We are now going to see some examples of how this might work in order to further understand the phrase.
The first conversation is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1; “My son had a party at the weekend.”
- Person 2; “Oh dear, did they make a mess?”
- Person 1; “Not too badly but there was a guy in his birthday suit on the front lawn in the morning.”
The next conversation is happening at a photography session.
- Person 1; “We are going to have some natural photos taken.”
- Person 2; “OK, but do I need to be in my birthday suit or can I wear clothes?”
More helpful examples:
- Some old people hate a picture of birthday suit.
- The child was in birthday suit and ran about the yard.
- The small boy dashed out of the bath in his birthday suit.
Other Ways to Say the Idiom
The phrase birthday suit can be expressed in other ways.
Let’s take a look at some other things you could say which mean the same thing.
- In the buff
Birthday Suit Meaning | Picture