Have you ever come across the phrase body politic during an English conversation and thought about what the phrase means? We are going to look at the meaning of this phrase as well as looking at some examples of how it can be used. We are also going to look at where the term came from in the first place.
Body Politic Meaning
The meaning of the term body politic refers to a government, organisation or similar as being human.
Origin of this English idiom
“Body Politic” Examples
Examples in Statements
We are now going to look at some examples of how the term body politic can be used in a sentence.
The first statement is being made by a person about the church.
- All the people felt safe being within the body politic of the church.
The next example is a sentence which is being said by a news reporter.
- The country has all submitted to the governing body politic who have now gained control.
There are many different conversations in which the concept of body politic might be seen. We will now take a look at some examples of how this might work.
The first conversation is happening in the workplace.
- Person 1: “I have decided to join the union.”
- Person 2: “That’s a good idea, it’s useful to be under a body politic that will protect you.”
The following conversation is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “There are a lot of things that the council will implement this year.”
- Person 2: “Such as what?”
- Person 1: “Many new programs which will help everyone within the body politic to better themselves.”
- It comprises the entire body politic, with all its citizens and all their interest groups and social movements.
- The body politic may have undergone radical surgery and it may have aged considerably, but it has continued to endure.
- Political parties have often been attacked as bad things in the body politic.
- This new policy has touched a nerve in the American body politic.
Other Ways to Say “Body Politic”
List of synonyms for “body politic”:
- Governing body
- Civil society
- Political system
- Policy body