The term cat’s in the cradle might be heard frequently during English conversation, but what does the term mean? We are going to take a look at the answer to this question as well as finding out where the term first came from. We are also going to look at some examples of the term being used in conversation and sentences.
Cat’s in the Cradle
Cat’s in the Cradle Meaning
The term cat’s in the cradle refers to a situation where a person does not spend time on any given relationship.
Origin of the idiomatic expression
The phrase cat’s in the cradle comes from a song of the same name which talks about a dad who doesn’t spend time with his son.
“Cat’s in the Cradle” Examples
We are now going to look at some examples of how the term cat’s in the cradle might be used in a sentence
The first statement is being made in a blog post.
- It was a shame to see the cat’s in the cradle with my sister and mother.
The next example is a statement being made by a mother.
- The cat’s in the cradle with my ex, he doesn’t bother with our son anymore.
You are likely to see the term cat’s in the cradle in many different conversations, but in order to fully understand how it works, let’s look at some examples.
The first is a conversation which is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “Have you seen much of your boyfriend this week?”
- Person 2: “No, he keeps cancelling our dates.”
- Person 1: “Sounds like the cats in the cradle.”
The next example is a conversation between two parents.
- Person 1: “When are you going to see your daughter?”
- Person 2: “I don’t know, I’m busy.”
- Person 1: “The cat’s in the cradle with you isn’t it, you never see her.”
Other Ways to Say the Idiom
You might like to use a different phrase in order to convey the meaning of the term cat’s in the cradle, here are some things you might say.
- Absent from the relationship
- Does not bother with someone
What Does “Cat’s in the Cradle” Mean? | Image
- Rapport Meaning: What Does the Term “Rapport” Mean? - November 28, 2023
- Solidarity Meaning: What’s the Definition of the Term “Solidarity”? - November 28, 2023
- Compassion Meaning: What Does “Compassion” Mean? - November 28, 2023