The term “Chad” can have multiple meanings depending on the context in which it is used. Here you will find the meaning of this term, the story behind its origin, and some other meanings.
You will also be able to see some conversation examples to aid you in understanding the meaning of this term. Lastly, you will see some synonymous words and phrases that you can use in place of this term to convey the same message that this term implies.
What Does “Chad” Mean?
This term is used to describe a stereotypical attractive, confident, and popular young man, who generally lives in the city, and behaves in a way that is considered stereotypical for most 20 to 30-year-olds. This person is usually portrayed as being athletic, well-dressed, and socially successful, but also arrogant and entitled.
Origin of “Chad”
The term originated in the U.S., more specifically in the city of Chicago, Illinois. It became a way to refer to white males growing up in surrounding upscale, or rich, neighborhoods and was used to generalize affluent white males as those who get things handed to them because of money, such as a car on their 16th birthday. They are called this because the term is one of the typical names given to white males.
This term has multiple meanings. One meaning of the term is a Republic in Africa, It is also the name of a lake in Africa. In the computer industry, this term refers to a punched hole in the shape of a square or a circle from paper tape or a punch card.
A text message exchange between two friends.
- Friend 1: Can I tell you a secret?
- Friend 2: I am your best friend. You can tell me anything.
- Friend 1: I have a crush on Tommy.
- Friend 2: Tommy?! Why him? He is such a Chad.
An online conversation between two Twitter users.
- User 1: I miss living at home when things were easy.
- User 2: LOL! Life is hard! Grow up, get used to it, and quit being such a Chad!
Synonyms for “Chad”
There are a few alternative phrases you could use to replace the use of this term in conversation. Some synonymous phrases you could use include:
- typical white male
- rich city kid
“Chad” Meaning Infographic
What Is A Chad? Key Takeaways
“Chad” is a slang term that has evolved over time to describe a certain type of man.
Origin of the term
- The term “Chad” originated in the UK during World War II.
- It was used to refer to someone who was confident, attractive, and successful.
Characteristics of a Chad
- A Chad is typically described as an alpha male.
- He is muscular, cocky, and very popular among women.
- He is often seen as arrogant and entitled.
Variations of a Chad
- The term has been used to describe different types of hyper-masculine men, including the airheaded jock, the trendy dudebro, and the obnoxious yuppie.
- In the context of incel culture, a “Chad” is someone who can elicit near-universal positive female sexual attention at will.
- He is seen as the ultimate enemy of incels, who believe that they are unfairly denied sexual access to women.
Other meanings of Chad
- The term “Chad” can also refer to a small piece of paper that is supposed to be removed when a hole is punched in a card or paper tape.
“Chad” is a slang term that originated in the UK during World War II and has evolved to describe a stereotypical alpha male who is attractive, successful, muscular, cocky, and very popular among women. The term has been used to describe a variety of hyper-masculine men, including the airheaded jock, the trendy dudebro, and the obnoxious yuppie. In the context of incel culture, a “Chad” is someone who can elicit near-universal positive female sexual attention at will. The term has also been used to describe a small piece of paper that is supposed to be removed when a hole is punched in a card or paper tape.
Last Updated on July 15, 2023