You might well have heard the term cheaper by the dozen being used in conversation. You may have also wondered what this idiom means. In this article, we are going to look at the meaning behind this term as well as finding out where it first came from. We will also be looking at some examples of the phrase in use.
Cheaper by the Dozen
Cheaper by the Dozen Meaning
The phrase cheaper by the dozen has two meanings, one refers to things being less expensive if they are brought in larger quantities. The second refers to the fact that things will get done more quickly and easily if there are more people doing the job.
Origin of this idiomatic expression
The saying cheaper by the dozen comes from a book written in the mid 1800s.
“Cheaper by the Dozen” Examples
Examples in Statements
We are now going to take a look at some sentences in which you might see the term cheaper by the dozen being used.
The first statement is one being made in an office.
- We are all going to collaborate on this project after all things will be better if done cheaper by the dozen.
The next statement is being said by someone in a text message.
- I am going to buy the wine in bulk, it is cheaper by the dozen.
There might be a variety of conversations which feature the term cheaper by the dozen, we are now going to take a look at some examples of things you might hear.
The first conversation is taking place between two friends organising a party.
- Person 1: “Can you arrange the decorations and I will do the food?”
- Person 2: “Yes, of course. But where shall I get them?”
- Person 1: “Anywhere, and if you buy a lot they’re cheaper by the dozen.”
The next conversation is taking place between a project team.
- Person 1: “How many of us are working on this?”
- Person 2: “There are 15 in total.”
- Person 1: “It’ll be done in no time, it’s definitely cheaper by the dozen.”
Other Ways to Say “Cheaper by the Dozen”
You might be able to say the term cheaper by the dozen in a different way.
Let’s now take a look at some other things you might say in its place.
- Cheaper in bulk
- More people get the job done quicker.
Cheaper by the Dozen | Picture