What does Chica mean? Learn the definition of this internet slang term with conversation examples and ESL infographic to enlarge your vocabulary words in English.
What Does Chica Mean?
‘Chica’ is a Spanish word for a girl, just as ‘chico’ is the Spanish word for a boy. Girls who are normally called ‘chica’ are referred to as extremely good-looking and/or the other person takes pride in knowing them.
The Spanish word was starting to grow in popularity during the late 2000s as guys tried to figure out a more polite way of saying, ‘your smoking hot babe’.
Ways you will find ‘chica’ being used.
- Texter 1: Hey chica how you doing babe?
- Texter 2: I’m good, even better now that you messaged.
Here you find it being used by a guy simply saying, ‘hey girl’.
- Boy: Hey what are you doing later?
- Girl: I have some homework.
- Boy: Really? So are you gonna be busy all night?
- Girl: I guess I could take a break if it was for a good reason.
- Boy: You, me dinner at 8. I will take you to your favorite spot.
- Girl: And now how could I say no to that.
- Boy: That’s my chica.
Sometimes it is used at the ends of conversations just as often as the start, as you see here where a boy is trying to get his girlfriend to take a break and have dinner with him, saying ‘chica’ at the end is him telling her she is his girl.
- gonna – going to