If you’re learning English, it’s essential to know the most common verbs used in the classroom. Whether you’re a student or a teacher, you’ll need to use these verbs to communicate effectively.
Learning classroom verbs can be challenging, especially if English is not your first language. However, with practice and repetition, you can master these verbs and use them confidently in your daily interactions. In the following sections, we’ll provide you with a list of common classroom verbs and examples of how to use them correctly.
Learn more with big list of verbs in English.
Classroom Verbs in English
School Verbs List
Classroom Vocabulary Words with Pictures
Learn these useful school verbs with pictures to enhance your vocabulary about verbs in English.
To impart knowledge or skills to someone by instruction or example.
- Example: The teacher will teach us how to solve the math problem.
To have a conscious mind and use it to consider or reason about something.
- Example: I need to think about my answer before I respond.
To form a word or words with the letters in the correct order.
- Example: Can you spell your name for me, please?
To present or bestow something to someone.
- Example: The teacher will give us a quiz on Friday.
To devote time and attention to acquiring knowledge on a particular subject.
- Example: I need to study for my history exam.
To look at and comprehend written or printed material.
- Example: I love to read books before going to bed.
To separate something into pieces using a sharp tool.
- Example: The student will cut the paper to make a craft.
To conduct a scientific procedure to test a hypothesis or idea.
- Example: The scientist will experiment with different chemicals to see their reaction.
To watch carefully and attentively.
- Example: The students will observe the behavior of the animals in the zoo.
To pay attention to sound and try to understand its meaning.
- Example: The teacher asked the students to listen to the instructions carefully.
To engage in an activity for enjoyment or amusement.
- Example: The children will play outside during recess.
To produce musical sounds with the voice.
- Example: The choir will sing a song at the school assembly.
To express something in words.
- Example: The student will say the answer out loud.
- Example: The student will draw a picture of their family.
To determine the number of something.
- Example: The teacher asked the students to count the number of objects in the box.
To determine the result of a mathematical operation.
- Example: The student will calculate the area of the rectangle.
To move something so that an enclosed space becomes accessible.
- Example: The student will open the book to read the story.
To move something so that an enclosed space becomes inaccessible.
- Example: The student will close the door after leaving the classroom.
To apply a pigment or color to a surface using a brush or other tool.
- Example: The student will paint a picture of a landscape using watercolors.
To display or exhibit something to someone.
- Example: The teacher will show the students how to do a science experiment.
To make something clear or understandable by describing or giving reasons for it.
- Example: The teacher will explain the steps for solving a math problem.
To inquire or request information from someone.
- Example: The student will ask the teacher for help with their homework.
Verbs with Pictures for Kids
- List of action verbs with images.
- Classroom verbs vocabulary in English.
- Restaurant verbs in English.
- Household chores with pictures in English.
- List of daily routines in English.
- Body movement verbs with images in English.
- Action words with pictures.
- List of cooking verbs in English.
- Sport words and exercise actions vocabulary words.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some common action words used in the classroom?
Some common action words used in the classroom include “write,” “read,” “listen,” “speak,” “draw,” “paint,” “calculate,” and “solve.”
What are some common verbs used when matching in the classroom?
When matching in the classroom, common verbs used include “match,” “connect,” “pair,” “sort,” “group,” and “classify.”
What are some movement verbs commonly used in the classroom?
Movement verbs commonly used in the classroom include “walk,” “run,” “jump,” “hop,” “skip,” “crawl,” “climb,” and “slide.”
What are some easy verbs for kids to learn in the classroom?
Some easy verbs for kids to learn in the classroom include “sit,” “stand,” “raise,” “lower,” “open,” “close,” “point,” and “touch.”
- Intersex Meaning: What Does the Term “Intersex” Actually Mean? - June 4, 2023
- Woke Meaning: What Does the Slang Term “Woke” Mean? - June 4, 2023
- Evil Eye Meaning | What Does the Term “Evil Eye” Mean? - June 4, 2023