You may have heard someone use the term ‘cloud nine’ on many occasions during English speech. But what is the meaning of this term and where did it originally come from? We are going to look into how to use this phrase along with its origins and what it means.
Cloud Nine Meaning
When someone uses the term ‘cloud nine’ they are referring to the blissful or ecstatic state that someone might find themselves in, this state could be caused by any number of reasons.
Origin of this idiom
The term ‘cloud nine’ is considered to have two possible origins, the first being from Buddhism where the phrase is made in reference to one of the final stages of enlightenment. The other explanation is that in the 1950s there were certain classifications of cloud within the weather system and cloud nine referred to a particularly attractive and fluffy type of cloud.
“Cloud 9” Examples
You would use the term ‘cloud nine’ to refer to someone who is extremely happy in their current situation, for example, you might say something like
- ‘John is so in love with his new puppy, he is on cloud nine.’
You can also use the phrase to refer to how you are feeling yourself, for example
- ‘I am so happy today, I feel like I am on cloud nine.’
More helpful examples:
- He was on cloud nine after winning the competition.
- When Michael was born I was on cloud nine.
- Adam was on cloud nine after the birth of his son.
- We were on cloud nine when our team won the championship.
- I was on cloud nine when her mother came out of the house with a broom.
- He will be on cloud nine when he gets some complimentary words.
If you are wondering how the phrase ‘cloud nine’ might look in a conversation, here are some examples of that.
- Person 1: “Did you see how excited Abi was when she came back from her holiday?”
- Person 2: “Yes, she looked so relaxed and happy.”
- Person 1: “She certainly seemed like she was on cloud nine.”
- Person 1: “How are you feeling today?”
- Person 2: “I am great. I have the day to relax and do whatever I please, I am on cloud nine.”
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are many ways to express the meaning behind the idiomatic term ‘cloud nine.’ Here are a few examples.
- In paradise
- On a high
- Over the moon
- On top of the world
- Heaven of heavens
Cloud 9 Meaning | Picture
Last Updated on March 19, 2021