You may have heard somebody using the term “cold hearted”, as it is a frequent idiom used in the English language. However, the meaning of the term might be unclear. We are going to discover the meaning as well as looking at where the saying first came from. We are also going to view some examples of how the term can work within the conversation.
“Cold Hearted” Meaning
To say that someone is cold hearted is to say that they have no emotion or empathy.
Origin of the idiomatic phrase
The idiom cold-hearted first came from the 17th century.
“Cold Hearted” Examples
We are now going to take a look at some examples of how the phrase cold hearted can be used within a sentence.
The first example is a sentence taken from a letter of complaint.
- I found the doctor to be very cold hearted and not understanding how we felt.
The next statement is one being made by a mother to her daughter on the death of her friend’s cat.
- You might not like cats but there is no need to be so cold hearted, clearly, your friend is upset.
The saying cold-hearted may be heard in many different conversational contexts. Here are some examples of conversations which feature the phrase, to show how it is used.
The first is a conversation taking place between a husband and wife.
- Person 1: “Did you hear that Sally lost her job?”
- Person 2: “Yes, she deserved it, she’s an awful woman.”
- Person 1: “Don’t be so cold hearted, she’s got a family to feed.”
The next conversation is happening between two nurses in a hospital.
- Person 1: “I’m so tired of all these patients complaining.”
- Person 2: “You are so cold-hearted, they aren’t well.”
- She is a cold-hearted person who does not really care about your situation.
- I carried with me for years a vague impression that he was a cold-hearted man.
- That sounds cold-hearted, but the pain is a necessary part of this correction.
Other Ways to Say the Idiom
There are plenty of other phrases you could use to express the meaning of the term cold hearted. Some of these are listed below.
List of synonyms for “cold hearted”:
- Emotionally unavailable
- Cold blooded
- Without a heart
- Black heart
What Does “Cold Hearted” Mean? | Image