Learn useful collocations with BREAK in English.
You can jump to any section of this lesson:
Break a bone
- Tom broke his bone while striking his final goal.
Break a code
- Scientists worked day and night to break the code.
Break a habit
- Do you know it takes 28 days to break a habit?
Break a law
- If you break a law, you go to prison.
Break a promise
- I know he wouldn’t break a promise to me, so I try to keep this promise.
Break a record
- “You and me, today we’re going to break a record, ” he said.
Break a window
- I had to break a window to get into the house.
- They will break ground on the new housing project next week.
Common Collocations with BREAK in English.
Break new ground
- I don’t have to break new ground here.
Break the news
- The police had to break the news to the boy’s parents.
Break one’s fall
- Luckily, a bush broke his fall.
Break someone’s heart
- It would break her heart when they’d have to leave .
Break the rules
- If you break the rules and get caught, you should be penalized.
Break the silence
- I was the first one to break the silence in my family.
Break the spell
- We have to make our own rules to break the spell.