What is another word for “common”? This lesson provides a list of commonly used synonyms for “common” in English with ESL pictures and useful example sentences. Learn these words to use instead of “common” to expand your English vocabulary.
“Common” Definition and Examples
Meaning of “Common”:
It simply means shared equally by two or more, or belonging equally to. The definition of common means something that is shared or equally belongs to two or more people or a community at large. It could also mean something occurring and happening frequently.
- It is very common to hear police sirens around this area during this time
- The twins look nothing alike, the only thing they share in common is their mannerisms.
- Bombs rained down on the unarmed common people.
List of Synonyms for Common
Frequently used synonyms for the word “common”.
Large list of 100+ different words to use instead of “common”.
- Garden variety
- In common
Common Synonyms Infographic
Another Word for Common
Common Synonyms with Examples
Learn another word for “common” with example sentences.
It is customary to offer a drink or a snack to guests.
Complaints seemed to be an everyday occurrence.
The smell is very familiar to everyone who lives near a bakery.
She was a frequent visitor to the house.
He’s been taken to task for his habitual lack of punctuality.
I’m just an ordinary person, I have my little emotion.
Intrigue against each other is quotidian in every company.
Poverty is a recurrent theme in her novels.
Try to fit some regular exercise into your daily routine.
The principal insisted that this was just a routine annual drill.
It’s a typical action film with plenty of spectacular stunts.
This isn’t my usual brand of deodorant.
More examples with the word “common”:
- We had a surprising amount in common.
- They believe that the European Community needs a common foreign and security policy.
- Some kinds of birds which were once a common sight are now becoming rare.
- The lack of a common language made it very difficult to intercommunicate.
- It’s a matter of common courtesy to acknowledge letters.
- Common salt is a compound of sodium and chlorine.
- Border skirmishes between India and Pakistan were common.
- Sandstorms are common during the Saudi Arabian winter.