“Cont” is a popular abbreviation used in internet slang and texting. Here you will find the meaning of this abbreviation and the origin of the abbreviation. You will also find information on other meanings if there are any. Additionally, you will see examples of how this abbreviation is used in a conversation and other ways to say the abbreviations to convey the same message.
What Does Cont Mean?
The abbreviation “cont” stands for continued, as there is more information to follow.
Origin of Cont
The abbreviation “cont” came from the proper shorthand for written documents for the word continued. This is the abbreviation that has been used for years in the world of writing to indicate that something is continued on the following page.
There are many other things that the abbreviation “cont” can stand for. This abbreviation can also stand for any of the following words:
control, content, contain, continuous, contrast, controller, contractor, container, continent, continuation, contamination, contingency and contactor. The “CONT” can also stand for Computer Oriented Numerical Technique, Casino-On-Net Time and Center of Next Transformation. However, it is unlikely that when referring to internet slang or texting abbreviations that the abbreviation “cont” means anything other than continue or continued.
Examples in Conversations
An example text conversation between two friends.
- Friend 1: Hey, what are you doing right now?
- Friend 2: The same thing as you. Sitting in the middle of second period.
- Friend 1: HAHA! Ok, what did you do last night?
- Friend 2: Also the same thing as you probably. I sat around and watched some tv, ate some dinner, did some homework.
- Friend 1: Same. Oops, cont later. The teacher is coming.
An example text conversation between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: We need to cont the project at the start of the day tomorrow.
- Co-worker 2: Agreed. We need to jump right on it.
- Co-worker 1: I’ll make sure to text the others so I can let them know its important for them to be there to help cont the work so we can get it done by the deadline.
Other Ways to Say “Cont”
There are only two other ways to say or abbreviate this abbreviation. You can either spell out the entire word and just say continue or continued. You can also use the abbreviation Cont’d as the abbreviation for the word continued.
Cont Meaning Infographic