FANBOYS Conjunctions!!! Learn list of coordinating conjunctions (FANBOYS) in English with example sentences and how to use FANBOYS conjunctions in English sentences.
What are Coordinating Conjunctions?
You use a coordinating conjunction “for,” “and,” “nor,” “but,” “or,” “yet” or “so” to join individual words, phrases, and independent clauses. If a clause can stand alone as a sentence, it is an independent clause.
Coordinating conjunctions can also be referred to as coordinators. Note that you can also use the conjunctions “but” and “for” as prepositions.
Coordinating Conjunctions Examples
- We listened eagerly, for he brought news of our families.
- She didn’t speak to anyone, and nobody spoke to her.
- I don’t expect children to be rude, nor do I expect to be disobeyed.
- They rushed to the hospital, but they were too late.
- I will go shopping, or I will go camping.
- Kelly was a convicted criminal, yet many people admired him.
- I was feeling hungry, so I made myself a sandwich.
FANBOYS Conjunctions List | Image
An easy way to remember these six conjunctions is to think of the word FANBOYS. Each of the letters in this somewhat unlikely word is the first letter of one of the coordinating conjunctions.