If you were thinking that the term “Cpt” was just a way to abbreviate the word captain, then think again. There are many other meanings of this term when used as an acronym, one of them being the most popular usage in online chatting and text messaging. If you came here looking for that meaning in particular, then you are in luck. Below you will find the most popular meaning behind this acronym, some details about its origin if available and some other meanings if there are any to be found. Further along you will be privy to some example conversations to illustrate how this term is properly used in context and to further enhance your knowledge of the definition. Lastly, you will see some synonymous phrases that you would be able to used to replace this term without changing the meaning of the original phrase.
What Does CPT Mean?
This acronym is most often used a derogatory term on the internet and in text messaging to refer to the phrase “colored people’s/person’s time.” It is used to refer to stereotyping African Americans by saying they are always late and, therefore, must operate on their own time that is not the same as everyone else’s.
Origin of CPT
There are no specific details concerning the exact origin of this acronym or the phrase that it represents. The only thing that can be said for sure is that this phrase and acronym have been used since at least 2003.
This acronym is no different from any other acronym in the fact that it can also be used to represent other terms as well. There are too many to mention every possible representation here, but some other terms this acronym can represent are “Certified Personal Trainer,” “College Placement Test,” “Copy Protection Technology,” “Current Procedural Terminology,” and “Cost Per Transaction.”
A conversation between father and son via text message.
- Son: My boss is out to get me, I swear!
- Father: Why do you say that?
- Son: I was late today, and he said that I must operate on CPT!
- Father: Have you been late before?
- Son: No! Never!
- Father: Well, then that was uncalled-for and a racial slur! I would make a complaint to HR!
An online discussion between two Twitter users.
- User 1: I don’t understand why people, in this day and age, still insist on using racial slurs.
- User 2: What happened?
- User 1: I was late to work today and I got fired. Now, I will admit, I deserved it because I have been late before, However, when my boss handed me the slip and told me I was fired, he told me at my next job to live in reality and stop living my life on CPT time so I wouldn’t be late anymore!
- User 2: Wow! Really?! I would have had to give him a piece of my mind before walking out and telling him you didn’t fire me, I quit!
Synonyms of CPT
There are some other phrases that you could consider using to replace this acronym or the phrase that it represents in a conversation that would mean the same thing. Some other phrases that you could use include:
- African American time
- Black time
- Afro-American time
CPT Meaning Infographic