Have you ever heard the term ‘crocodile tears’ used in English conversation and wondered what the speaker was referring to? Here we will take a look at what this term means and how we can use it in our daily conversations. We will also look into where the saying came from.
Crocodile Tears Meaning
When you hear someone say that someone is crying ‘crocodile tears’ they are saying that the crying is not genuine and that the tears are fake and for effect.
Origin of this idiom
The phrase ‘crocodile tears’ is said to have derived from the notion that crocodiles cry when they eat their prey. Referring to the ingenuine nature of the tears cried by a person, as the tears of a crocodile are not shed because they are sad about eating their prey.
“Crocodile Tears” Examples
You would use the term ‘crocodile tears’ when talking about someone who is crying but who doesn’t mean it. For example, if someone is crying in order to get sympathy or attention from someone but is not actually feeling any emotion. You might say something along the lines of ‘Susan, stop crying those crocodile tears, we all know you’re not actually upset about hurting your sister.’
If you are interested to know how to use the term ‘crocodile tears’ in a conversation, here are some examples of how it would fit into conversation
- Person 1: “I wish that Emily would stop with her crocodile tears.”
- Person 2: “I know, she never shows any genuine emotion when it matters.”
- Person 1: (whilst crying) “I am so sorry for taking your bicycle.”
- Person 2: “No, you’re not sorry at all and you can turn off those crocodile tears too.”
- The sight of George shedding crocodile tears made me sick.
- Let’s have no more politicians shedding crocodile tears for the unemployed.
- They weep crocodile tears for the poor, but are basically happy with things as they are.
- He showed his crocodile tears when aunt died.
- They were only crying crocodile tears at the old man’s funeral.
- Don’t soften your heart; he was shedding crocodile tears.
- My daughter already had crocodile tears sprounting in her eyes.
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are other ways in which you are able to express the meaning behind the phrase ‘crocodile tears.’ Here are a few examples.
- Insincere tears
- Fake tears
- Phony tears
- Insincere display of emotions
- Affected tears
Crocodile Tears Meaning | Picture
Last Updated on March 12, 2021