The term “cultural appropriation” is not a slang term. It is actually a well-known term used in particular situations. If you have seen or heard this phrase on the internet or otherwise, your curiosity has led you to the correct place. Here will find the meaning of this term.
Information regarding its origin if available, and other meanings if there are any that can be found. Lastly, you see some example conversations showcasing the term used in the correct context to provide additional understanding and some words or phrases that can be used in place of this term. ,
Cultural Appropriation Meaning
What Does Cultural Appropriation Mean?
The term “cultural appropriation” is used to describe the situation that occurs when a dominant culture adopts certain aspects of a minority culture and uses them as their own without recognizing or knowing the importance of the things they are exploiting. This can include “stealing” cultural things such as the style of dress, hair, makeup, way of speaking, etc.
Origin of Cultural Appropriation
The term “cultural appropriation” was first recorded being used as a term to describe the situations defined above since at least the 1960s. However, the practice of cultural appropriation has been going on much longer than that dating back to at least the 17th century and perhaps even longer.
There are currently no other known meanings of the term “cultural appropriation.”
A text conversation between two friends:
- Friend 1: What are you going to be for Halloween?
- Friend 2: I was thinking about dressing up as an Indian.
- Friend 1: I wouldn’t do that if I were you. School might tell you that you need to go home and change.
- Friend 2: Why?
- Friend 1: The school board said that some costumes, such as an Indian, is a form If cultural appropriation and that it is a costume that is not permitted.
An online conversation between two Facebook users:
- User 1: (posts a picture) I had such an awesome time at the Halloween party last night! Look at us all on fleek with our costumes!
- User 2: You need to take this picture down. It is highly offensive.
- User 1: Since when are people in costume highly offensive?
- User 2: In general, they are not. However, one of your friends in the picture is wearing blackface which is a highly offensive form of cultural appropriation. Take it down or I will report you to Facebook.
Alternatives to “Cultural Appropriation”
There are some words or phrases that you could use instead of the term “cultural appropriation.” Some of the alternatives you could choose to use instead include:
- Cultural misappropriation
- Cultural looting
- Cultural misrepresentation
Cultural Appropriation Meaning Infographic