Demonstrative Adjectives!!! Learn how to use demonstrative adjectives and pronouns in English. When a noun or nouns need to be identified, especially in a spatial or positional context, a demonstrative adjective is used.
What Are Demonstrative Adjectives?
This train conveys passengers to London.
I think that book is mine.
These cakes are very quick and easy to make.
Let me give you a hand with those bags.
This & That
- This and that are used with singular nouns.
- This is used with someone or something near the speaker.
This car is cheap.
- That is used with someone or something far from the speaker.
That man irritates me!
These & Those
- These and those are used with plural nouns.
- These to indicate someone or something near the speaker.
These shoes need to be repaired.
- Those to indicate someone or something far from the speaker.
Do you need any help with those boxes?
Demonstrative Adjectives vs. Demonstrative Pronouns
This is a course in mechanics.
That‘s a nice dress.
These are great shoes for muddy weather.
I’m not joking. Those were his actual words.
Adjectives in English Grammar
List of useful lessons about adjectives in English.