Driving Vocabulary! List of common driving phrasal verbs with their meaning, ESL picture and example sentences in English to improve your fluency.
Learn more with useful list of car, speed and driving idioms in English.
List of Common Driving Phrasal Verbs
- Back up
- Buckle up
- Cut off
- Drive by
- Fill up
- Get out of
- Pull over
- Run over
- Slow down
- Turn off
- Pull in
- Pull out
- Run into
- Knock down
- Pick up
Driving Phrasal Verbs with Meaning and Examples
List of common phrasal verbs about driving to improve your English.
- Meaning: Make a car go backwards
- Example: See if you can back up a bit further.
- Meaning: Fasten your seat belt in a car, plane etc.
- Example: Please buckle up now; we’re about to land.
- Meaning: Block someone’s way
- Example: A second policeman cut off his escape.
- Meaning: Do something out of a car
- Example: He was killed in a drive-by shooting.
- Meaning: Put gasoline in the car until it’s completely full
- Example: He filled up the tank with petrol.
Get out of
- Meaning: Leave
- Example: You must not get out of the car when it is in motion.
- Meaning: Stop on the side of the road
- Example: She saw the ambulance coming up behind her and pulled over.
- Meaning: Hit something/someone with a car and drive over them
- Example: Jesica was run over by a car outside her house.
- Meaning: To decrease speed; to go slower
- Example: Slow down! You’re driving too fast.
- Meaning: Stop a piece of equipment working temporarily by pressing a button
- Example: You forgot to turn off your blinker after you merged.
- Meaning: Move to the side of the road
- Example: We pulled in at the side of the road.
- Meaning: Move away from the side of the road, etc.
- Example: A car pulled out in front of me.
- Meaning: Crash into somebody/something
- Example: The bus went out of control and ran into a line of people.
- Meaning: Hit somebody and make them fall to the ground
- Example: She was knocked down by a bus.
- Meaning: Take someone in vehicle
- Example: I’ll pick you up at six.
Useful Driving Phrasal Verbs in English | Picture