Learn the meaning of the idiom “Dumpster Fire”. An idiom is an expression used figuratively to convey a thought or a feeling. Idioms have been used widely over many years. One idiom that is still used often today is “dumpster fire.” Here you will find the meaning of this phrase, the origin story of this phrase, examples of how to properly use this phrase in conversations/statements and other ways to state the phrase in literal terms.
Dumpster Fire Meaning
The idiom “dumpster fire” means that a situation has grown out of control. It is typically used to describe a scenario where things have not gone according to plan and chaos has set in.
Origin of this idiomatic expression
The idiom “dumpster fire” is a rather recent phrase that many believe was coined in 2009 during a sport’s news broadcast. However, the phrase is also said to have appeared in a 2003 movie review and was used to describe a movie that critics thought to be “insignificantly stinky.”
“Dumpster Fire” Examples
Examples in Statements
A statement in the local paper about riots.
- “The scene downtown became a dumpster fire after the announcement of the verdict.”
A statement given to a sportscaster by the wide receiver of a football game after a loss.
- “This game became a dumpster fire after the second half.”
Examples in Conversation
A conversation between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: We are running so far behind on the project and I do not think there is a way to catch up.
- Co-worker 2: Yes, I know. We may have a real dumpster fire on our hands if we don’t figure this out.
A conversation between two hockey players.
- Player 1: If we do not win tonight, the fans are going to be uncontrollable.
- Player 2: Yeah, the situation could turn into a rather unruly dumpster fire.
Other Ways to Say “Dumpster Fire”
As with all idiomatic phrases, this phrase can also be said in a literal sense rather than with figurative language. For instance, someone could simply state that the situation will become chaotic or out of control.
“Dumpster Fire” synonyms list:
- Out of control
- Get out of hand
- Get out of control
What does “Dumpster Fire” Mean? | Picture
Last Updated on March 18, 2020