What does EEUU mean? Learn the definition, origin and when to use this interesting slang term EEUU in English with online conversations and ESL image.
What Does EEUU Mean?
EEUU is not an acronym and instead is slang for The United States of America. It is commonly used in Latin American but has seen some usage in America itself.
Origin of EEUU
EEUU began to see use in Latin America during the turn of the 21st century. Citizens of the United States will refer to themselves as “Americans”, which can cause confusion to non-Americans as it would be similar to a German calling themselves European and not German. Because of this, and the increased tension between Latin American countries and the United States, EEUU became slang for the United States while an “American” would be used similarly to “European”; native of the continent and not the actual country.
There is no other record usage of EEUU.
Text Between Friends
- Friend 1: Hey! I haven’t seen you in forever! What are you up to?
- Friend 2: Work which has me crossing the border practically every day.
- Friend 1: From Mexico to EEUU?
- Friend 2: Yeah. It’s a pain but my company decided to move its offices North but not relocate us..
- Friend 1: That sucks, man. Is the border as bad as I hear?
- Friend 2: Yes and no. So long as you’re not smuggling drugs and just have to get to work they’ll let you through. I got searched one time but that’s it.
- Friend 1: The EEUU sure has a stupid border law.
- Friend 2: Yeah, but I’m just happy I can cross and not be shot at. Lol.
Angry Twitter Post
What’s the deal with people living in the EEUU calling themselves “Americans”? I know “United States Citizen” doesn’t roll off the tongue but if you go around calling yourself an American do I count as an American? I live in Mexico, same continent as you guys. Stop hogging the spotlight! #StopEEUU #AmericaIsAContinent
Other Ways to Say the Slang Word
EUA is another abbreviation used, standing for “Estados Unidos America”, translated from Spanish meaning “United States of America”. EUA more popular slang for the United States.