What is another word for “explain”? In this lesson, you will find different ways to say “explain” in English with meaning and examples. Learn synonyms of the word “explain” to improve your vocabulary in English.
Other Words for “Explain”
Common synonyms for “Explain”.
- Spell out
A huge list of 95+ words you can use instead of “explain”.
- Account for
- Break down
- Clear up
- Come clean
- Figure out
- Get across
- Make clear
- Make plain
- Point out
- Put across
- Set out
- Shed light on
- Spell out
- Throw light on
- Throw light upon
Explain Synonyms with Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: To explain or describe something in a more detailed way
- Example: She said she was resigning but did not elaborate on her reasons.
- Meaning: To make something clearer or easier to understand
- Example: I asked him to clarify what he meant.
- Meaning: To say or explain what the meaning of a word or phrase is
- Example: The term ‘mental illness’ is difficult to define.
- Meaning: To make something clearer by explaining it more fully
- Example: You have not understood; allow me to elucidate.
- Meaning: To explain something by talking about it in detail
- Example: She expounded her views on the subject to me at great length.
- Meaning: To explain an idea or a work of literature in a lot of detail
- Example: It is impossible to explicate this concept in any meaningful way.
- Meaning: To explain the meaning of something
- Example: She was asked me to interpret the poem.
- Meaning: To make something known to somebody
- Example: His expression revealed nothing.
- Meaning: To explain something in a simple, clear way
- For example: Let me spell out why we need more money.
Another Word for Explain | Image