What does Fa3 mean? Learn the definition of this internet slang term with conversation examples and ESL infographic to enlarge your vocabulary words in English.
What Does Fa3 Mean?v
Fa3 is another spelling for “Fag”. While the slang word Fag is used for cigarettes or as an insult to homosexuals, fa3 is rarely seen as not an insult. Typically it’s directed either at someone who is or perceived to be a homosexual, or just being used for the sake of being crass. Using fa3 is typically seen as very childish.
Origin of Fa3
The word “Fag” originated from the word “Fagot”, which originally meant a bundle of sticks. Later, during the 20th century, both Fag and Fagot became slang for homosexual and being called either a fagot or fag is viewed as an insult. Fag itself would also be used as slang for cigarettes, but has largely fallen out of favor due to the knowledge of being an insult. The origin of fa3 dates back to the turn of the 21st century and the rise of text messaging and internet communications. Around this time, it became very common to replace letters with numbers.
As an example the word “leet”, which is slang for elite, saw the replacement of E with the number 3 to become “l33t”. The very famous “LOL” saw the letter O replaced with the number 0, thus creating “L0L”. However, for this type of slang to work the letter and number had to look similar. So 1s for Is, 0 for Os, etc. Fag would see the letter G replaced with the number 3, as the lowercase G looks similar to the number 3. Fa3 sees some use in online video games as a way to insult another player without the automatic censorship blocking the word.
There are no other recorded usage of this slang.
Text Between Friends
- Friend 1: Ugh! I hate Mr. Jerry’s math class.
- Friend 2: How come?
- Friend 1: He’s always doing such BS assignments. He’s a total fa3.
- Friend 2: Don’t say that! That’s not a nice thing to say about him.
- Friend 1: But his assignments are BS!
- Friend 2: Yeah, that’s fine. But don’t go calling people names. We talked about this, man.
Video Game Chat
- Player 1: Hey, Player 2!
- Player 2: Yeah?
- Player 1: You’re a real fa3!
- Player 2: I don’t even know you. Real mature.
- Player 1: Fa3!
- Player 2: I’m going to report and block you right now, you know?
- Player 1: OMG! You’re such a loser noob! I was just joking!
- Player 2: You have a bad sense of humor then. Still reporting you.
Other Ways to Say the Slang Word
Using “Fag” is much more common than “fa3”. As such, “fa3” has largely fallen out of favor unless in instances where software automatically blocks crass speech.
Fa3 Meaning Infographic