If you are a fan of a particular show that airs overseas, then you might also be familiar with the word “fafa.” You may also be familiar with the term in other ways if you are from or are familiar with certain cultures or backgrounds. Here you will find the meaning of this slang term, information regarding its origin, and other meanings for the term if there are any to be found.
You will also see some conversation examples for you to read through to help you further understand the meaning of this term in its most commonly used form. Finally, you will see some synonyms for this term if there are any other words or phrases that can be used in place of this term and still convey the same meaning.
What Does Fafa Mean?
This term is considered to be a nonsense word that parodies the French language by using fake words that mean little in actual French.
Origin of Fafa
The term originated from a popular television show called Flight of the Conchords. This comedic television show airs in New Zealand and one of the episodes featured one of the main characters singing a song called “Foux Du Fafa” to try and impress a girl. The song consisted of simple, beginner-level French words strung together and made no sense. The song made viewers in New Zealand and throughout the world laugh and it became popular for this reason as a nonsensical word.
This slang term can also be used as a form of endearment for dad or papa and is particularly used for that reason in the Filipino culture. In the LGBTQ+ community, this term can be used by gay men to refer to their partners. This term has also been used to refer to the soccer player Fabrice-Jean Fafa Picault who plays for the Philadelphia Union. The term has also been used as an abbreviation for the word Fa’afafine, which means someone who is born male but raised as a female.
A text message exchange between two friends.
- Friend 1: Have you ever seen the show Flight of the Conchords?
- Friend 2: I have watched some episodes, but I have not seen them all.
- Friend 1: Have you seen the episode where they sing the fafa song?
- Friend 2: No, I can’t say I have seen that one yet.
- Friend 1: You have to watch it when you have the time. It is so funny!
An online exchange between two forum users.
- User 1: Is anyone else here a fan of the television show Flight of the Conchords?
- User 2: I am! I loved the episode where they sang the fafa song! I couldn’t stop laughing!
- User 1: Yes! That is one of my favorite episodes! I wish they would do more like that.
Synonyms for Fafa
When this term is used in the sense of the definition stated above, there are no synonyms that you could use to represent the term so that it still maintains the same meaning. Therefore, there are no synonyms to mention.
Fafa Meaning Infographic
Last Updated on March 23, 2020