Faint of Heart! Idioms are phrases that use figurative language to relate a thought or feeling. “Faint of heart” is a popular idiom used in regular conversation every day. Here you will find the meaning of this phrase, the origin of the phrase, examples of how it is used in conversation/statements and other ways you can say to convey the same meaning.
Faint of Heart
Faint of Heart Meaning
The meaning of the phrase “faint of heart” is used to describe a person in a situation where they show weakness and aren’t brave or strong enough to handle an intense situation.
Origin of this idiomatic expression
This phrase came from the medical field. The term was used to describe patients who had weak hearts and could not handle particularly stressful situations. Due to their heart conditions, the patients were not able to handle any types of stress and were, therefore, described as being faint of heart.
“Faint of Heart” Examples
Examples in Statements
An example using this phrase in a news story on television.
- “Viewers who are faint of heart should now turn their heads away from the television or change the channel as these pictures are graphic in nature.”
An example of this statement used by pro football player.
- “This game can get rough sometimes. It is definitely not for the faint of heart.“
Examples in Conversation
An example used in conversation between two friends.
- Friend 1: Did you check out the new ride at the County Fair?
- Friend 2: Yes! The one that launches you 40 feet in the air!
- Friend 1: I went last night with Lisa! We had a blast, but that ride is definitely not for the faint of heart!
An example used in conversation between a mother and daughter.
- Daughter: Hey mom, did you watch the most recent episode of 911?
- Mom: No, why?
- Daughter: It was amazing, but some of the things they showed are definitely not for the faint of heart.
Other Ways to Express “Faint of Heart”
Some of the other ways you can express the same meaning in conversation include stating someone is a coward, chicken, not brave, weak.
“Faint of Heart” synonyms:
- Faint hearted
- For the faint of heart
- Not brave
Faint of Heart | Image
Last Updated on March 18, 2020
6 thoughts on “Faint of Heart: What does “Faint of Heart” Mean? with Useful Examples”
wait i am not strong enough.
sooooooooooo you are not strong enough!