“Fortune favors the bold” is an idiomatic phrase that is used frequently in conversation and writing. Here you will find the meaning of this phrase and a bit of information on the phrase’s origin. You will also find examples illustrating how to properly use this phrase in everyday conversations/statements and find some other ways to say the phrase that convey the same meaning.
Fortune Favors The Bold
Fortune Favors The Bold Meaning
The idiomatic phrase “fortune favors the bold” means that people who take chances are often rewarded favorably.
Origin of this idiomatic expression
This phrase is derived from the Latin proverb audentes fortuna iuvat. Directly translated to English, this phrase says “to the daring, fortune does bring aid.” The proverb was written by Virgil, a Roman poet, and included in his book of works titled the Aenid. He had begun writing this book in 30 BC and it was still incomplete when he died in 19 BC.
Fortune Favors The Bold
Examples in Statements
A statement made by a celebrity in a recent entertainment magazine interview.
- “I am not afraid to ask for anything. I have learned that fortune favors the bold.”
A statement made by the valedictorian during his graduation speech.
- “Remember, get out there, work hard and always be brave enough to ask for what you want. Fortune favors the bold.”
Examples in Conversations
A conversation between a father and a son.
- Son: Dad, I don’t know what to do? There is this girl I like and I want to ask her out.
- Father: Okay, does she like you?
- Son: I don’t know if she does or not. That’s why I am so on the fence about asking her.
- Father: Well, fortune favors the bold son. You should ask her out and see what she says.
A conversation between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: Hey, Bill. Did you ask for your raise yet?
- Co-worker 2: Not yet. I need to though.
- Co-worker 1: Yes, you do. The only way you are going to get it is if you are brave enough to ask for it.
- Co-worker 2: True, I am just a little nervous about asking.
- Co-worker 1: No reason to be nervous. Just do it! Fortune favors the bold.
Other Ways to Say “Fortune Favors The Bold”
There are several other ways to say the idiom “fortune favors the bold.” Other things you could say that convey the same message include:
- Fortune comes to those brave enough to ask
- Bravery is often rewarded
- Those willing to take a risk are often highly rewarded
Fortune Favors The Bold | Image