What are funny words? When speaking in the English language, most of the words that you will use are pretty standard and have no humorous value whatsoever. However, there are a variety of words in English which may bring a smile to your face. In this article, we are going to be looking at some funny words from the English language as well as giving you an explanation of what each one means.
What Are Funny Words?
Funny words from the English language may not necessarily have a funny meaning, they may simply sound funny with the way that they are pronounced. There are many of these words and a lot of them have very interesting meanings, this is a great way to add words to your English vocabulary and to do so in a humorous way.
The 10 Funnies Words in The English Language
Let’s begin exploring some of the most funny-sounding words that can be found in the English language. We will take a look at the word as well as exploring what it means and how it might be used within a sentence.
This ridiculous-sounding word which means to be confused. You might see it being used in a sentence such as this one:
- He speaks in very long sentences, which tends to bumfuzzle the children in the class.
The word cattywampus is most commonly used in the USA, especially the southern states. It is a word which refers to something that is misaligned. You might hear it being used in a sentence such as:
- The bank is cattywampus from the park.
On first hearing, you might think that this word is something sweet. But in reality, it is referring to a type of knife from the 1700s. When used in a sentence, you might hear the following:
- He used a snickersnee in the battle.
The word gubbins is one which refers to something that is seen as rubbish or useless. It might also be used to talk about someone who is silly. You can see it used in a sentence such as the following:
- My brother is a nice enough guy, but he is a bit of a gubbins.
To lollygag means to mess around or to waste time. The word has long been used in the English language and might be heard in a sentence such as this one:
- It’s very difficult taking my daughter to the shops since she spends a lot of time lollygagging rather than doing what she is supposed to.
This commonly used word refers to a situation which is madness or chaotic. You might see it being used in a sentence such as the following one:
- I cannot be dealing with this malarky for a second longer.
A flibbertigibbet is a person who talks a lot or is a little silly. This word has been used in the English language for hundreds of years and you might hear it being used in the following context.
- I don’t know how much longer I can work with Sam, he is such a flibbertigibbet.
This very funny-sounding word is used to refer to a politician who makes decisions for their own benefit and not for the benefit of the wider community. You may hear it being used in a sentence such as this one:
- Donald Trump is the worst president the USA has ever seen, he is a huge snollygoster
To bibble is to eat or drink in a noisy fashion, often at the annoyance of those around you. When used in a sentence, it might look something like this:
- My dad always bibbles when he eats, I cannot stand to sit at the table whilst he has his dinner.
A brouhaha is a situation which is chaotic or noisy. This word is often used and it may appear in a sentence such as this one:
- The village fair turned into something of a brouhaha, it was far too busy for me.
Some of the commonly used words in the English language are extremely funny sounding ones. However, this doesn’t mean that they have a funny meaning. We have touched on some of the funniest words yet there are many more to be discovered. Doing this is a great exercise for expanding your vocabulary and making your English much more natural sounding.