Learn furniture vocabulary in English.
Furniture refers to movable objects intended to support various human activities such as seating, eating, and sleeping.
In fact, Furniture can be a product of design and is considered a form of decorative art. It can be made from many materials, including metal, plastic, and wood. Generally, Furniture can be made using a variety of woodworking joints which often reflect the local culture.
A house is a building that functions as a home. Most conventional modern houses will at least contain a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen or cooking area, and a living room. Also, each room has a different function and contains a lot of objects inside…
Furniture vocabulary – List of furniture items/objects in English.
You can jump to any section of this lesson:
Baby Furniture Vocabulary
Firstly, let’s learn names of Baby Furniture and Accessories in English.
Also, learning Different Types of Chairs in English.
In the Bedroom Vocabulary
Also in this lesson, you will learn essential objects in the Bedroom through pictures.
As its name, a bedroom in the house is where people sleep. Furniture and other items in bedrooms vary greatly, depending on taste, local traditions and the socioeconomic status of an individual. Here are some typical furniture and items can be found in the bedroom:
- Dressing table – a piece of bedroom furniture with drawers and a mirror, that you use while dressing or putting on makeup, etc.
- Bed – a piece of furniture on which you sleep or rest.
- Bedspread – a decorative cloth put over a bed, on the top of all the other covers.
- Blanket – a large piece of cloth, often made of wool, that you use on a bed to keep you warm.
- Pillow – a rectangular bag made of cloth that is filled with soft materials, and is used to rest your head on when you are lying.
- Alarm clock – a clock that wakes you up at specified time.
- Wardrobe (“closet” in American English) – a large piece of furniture or a space in a wall with a door where you hang your clothes.
In the Living Room Vocabulary
Furthermore, there are many things in the Living room you need to know.
The living room is the place in the house you’re most likely to “hang out” in. It usually has a couch, chairs, and most importantly TV’s, VCR’s, stereos, and video game consoles and games. It is sometimes called a front room when it is near the main entrance at the front of the house.
Essential Objects in the Living Room
- Carpet – This can be used to cover an entire floor to make it softer to walk on.
- Rug – This is like a carpet but doesn’t usually cover the entire floor.
- Sofa / couch – This is a large, soft chair, usually meant for several people to sit on
- Coffee table – This is a low table typically placed in front of a sofa.
- Television / TV – You’ll often find this in a living room as a main source of entertainment for the family.
- TV stand – What piece of furniture does a TV usually rest on.
- Side table – This is a small table placed beside couches for drinks, books, etc.
- Fire iron / poker – This a long, metal instrument used to tend a fire.
- Futon / pull-out sofa / sofa-bed – This is a type of sofa that can be unfolded to become a bed, in case you have a guest sleeping over.
- Bean bag – This is a squishy, shapeless chair filled with beans, beads, or something similar.
Finally, here is a list of common Tables in English.