The idiomatic saying “gag me with a spoon” is not heard very often anymore. However, you may still hear it occasionally used in conversation. Here you will find the meaning of the phrase and information on its origin. This will be followed by some examples of how to properly use the phrase in conversations/statements and alternative ways to say the phrase to convey the same meaning.
Gag Me With A Spoon
Gag Me With A Spoon Meaning
The phrase “gag me with a spoon” is used to mean that someone is repulsed or annoyed by something or someone.
Origin of this idiom
The phrase “gag me with a spoon” originated in the valley of San Fernando, California in the early 1980s. This phrase became a popular term among those considered “valley girls” who had their own way of speaking that has since been called “val-speak.” Although no one knows exactly why the phrase was created, the where and when is quite evident.
“Gag Me With A Spoon” Examples
Examples in Statements
A statement made in a popular teen magazine by a teen celebrity in the 80s.
- “Gag me with a spoon! I hated that producer and will never work with him again!”
A statement made by a former high school student.
- “I am so glad to graduate and be out of that school. Like, gag me with a spoon! It is the worst school ever.”
Examples in Conversations
A conversation between two high school friends.
- Friend 1: Oh my gosh! Did you see what David had on today?
- Friend 2: I know right! Gag me with a spoon! His shirt totally did not match those pants. I can’t believe I had to look at it all day.
A conversation between two friends at the park.
- Friend 1: Did you go to the fair this weekend?
- Friend 2: No! Danny told me to not bother wasting my time. He said it was lame!
- Friend 1: Totally! He was not lying! Like, seriously, gag me with a spoon! Watching paint dry would have been more interesting!
Other Ways to Say “Gag Me With A Spoon”
There are many alternative ways to say “gag me with a spoon” and convey the same meaning. Some of these include:
- I’m repulsed
- I’m disgusted
- I’m annoyed
Gag Me With A Spoon | Picture