What does GFY mean? Are you searching for the definition of this internet slang term? This lesson will help you find out how to use this text abbreviation with useful conversation examples and ESL picture.
What Does GFY Mean?
This slang term can mean two completely different things. In the time of congratulations or wishes of good will the definition is “good for you”. However, if you use a different tone that definition could also be derogatory as well. The second more popular use of the slang term is “Go f**k yourself”. That particular definition is hard to use in anything other than a derogatory way and is the most often used definition on social media websites.
One of the most versatile slang terms used in popular culture, whether used in serious instances or more ironic sarcasm. The perfect selection in the event a person calls you on the usage. A quick switch to “good for you” can change the circumstances in an instant.
Origin of GFY
The origin of ‘gfy’ is cloudy at best, official first use is difficult to pinpoint. This slang term belongs in the category for terms that just appeared out of nowhere. That seemingly pure birth quickly took hold of the world of social media in pop culture and quickly became one of the most commonly used terms.
How this texting acronym is used when meaning ‘Good For You’.
- Texter 1: Hey I got my report card!
- Texter 2: Well, how did you do?
- Texter 1: Mom I have to be honest.
- Texter 2: You better be.
- Texter 1: ALL A’S!
- Texter 2: GFY I am proud. Now to see how your brother did.
One way it is used is during texting about good things that happen in our day to day lives, things like finding out you got all A’s on a report card.
- Texter 1: Jim finally asked me to the dance!
- Texter 2: Wow, it only took all week.
- Texter 1: IKR
- Texter 2: Well GFY, I am glad he didn’t wait to long. Lol
Anything that gives you bragging rights can result in someone saying ‘gfy’. On some rare occasions it may even me meant sarcastic.
- ikr – I Know Right
- lol – Laugh Out Loud
How ‘gfy’ is used when meaning ‘Go F**k Yourself.
- Texter 1: Did Josh ask you out?
- Texter 2: Maybe, why?
- Texter 1: Because he is dating me. So, did he?
- Texter 2: Yes, but I don’t care if you guys date. May the best girl win.
- Texter 1: GFY
You will find ‘gfy’ being used as a fast way of expressing how mad or upset you are towards someone like in this situation where the guy is dating more than one girl at the same time.
- Forum User 1: Did anyone beat the game yet?
- Forum User 2: Nope.
- Forum User 3: Me either.
- Forum User 4: LOL I did you all are lame losers.
- Forum User 3: Wow uncalled for.
- Forum User 1: GFY dude!
The abbreviation for ‘Go F**k Yourself’ is used extremely often on online forums. Because if you curse you can get banned from pages, so saying ‘gfy’ is an easy loophole.
- Government Fiscal Year
- Go Fug Yourself
- GIF Format Yoker
- Go Find Yaks
- Government Fiscal Year
- Go Find Yourself (polite form)
- Go Fudge Yourself
GFY Meaning Infographic