What does GIF mean? What does this internet slang term stand for? Learn the meaning and how to use this text abbreviation with useful conversation examples and ESL infographic.
What Does GIF Mean?
The abbreviated term ‘gif’ stands for ‘Graphics Interchange Format’.
The ‘gif‘ is an animated photo. Only animated though, for a short period. Things like your favorite movie actors and/or actresses making silly faces over and over.
A ‘gif‘ resembles the old technique of drawing a bouncing ball on the corner of a notebook for many pages, then when you flip the pages the ball will bounce.
On a very rare occasion, the term ‘gif‘ has been used for meaning ‘Girl In Fridge’.
Here is the list of other meanings of this abbreviation:
- Guaranteed Investment Fund
- General Image Format
- Goodie, It’s Free
- Get It First
- German Israeli Foundation
- Girl Intimate Friend
- Great Internet Fun
- Global Impact Factor
- Guy In Front
- Global Innovation Fund
- Genetically Igineered Foto
- Good Integral Function
- Girl Insanely Fails
- Geospatial Innovation Facility
- Growth and Innovation Framework
Now some examples of this texting acronym being used.
- Texter 1: Do you have the report done?
- Texter 2: I’m on it, just added photos now.
- Texter 1: What type?
- Texter 2: PNG
- Texter 1: No, they have to be gif format. The movement makes the report really pop.
- Texter 2: Really? Crap I have to start all over and reformat them then.
Now an argument between the best photo type for a digital report is an example of when you will find ‘gif‘ used frequently.
- png – Portable Network Graphics
- Forum User 1: Does anyone have an example of how to make a tye-dye snowflake on a shirt?
- Forum User 2: I have a couple of good ways I will message you.
- Forum User 3: I think you just tie it up and hope for the best.
- Forum User 4: Hey here you go man (Attached photo of how to step by step make the snowflake tye-dye design.)
- Forum User 4: (Attached a gif of the shirt being pulled from the water and with a perfect snowflake design revealed.)
- Forum User 1: AWESOME! Thank you so much and that gif is perfect exactly what I had in mind.
One the most common times you will find ‘gif‘ used is during online chats and forums where people ask for help or photos of something.
- Facebook Post: Hard day at work. (With attached photo of a guy who keeps face-planting the desk.)
You will find that a ‘gif‘ is a very common Facebook posting tool to show many different emotions.
Example For ‘Girl In Fridge’
- Texter 1: Hey dude I’m at the frat house.
- Texter 2: Cool, I’ll be there soon.
- Texter 1: No dude really, you have no clue what I see.
- Texter 2: What?
- Texter 1: Dude it’s a girl.
- Texter 2: Cool what she doing there?
- Texter 1: GIF
- Texter 2: Getting a beer?
- Texter 1: idk yet
Here you have two college guys talking about a strange girl in their frat house snooping around the fridge.
- idk – I Don’t Know
GIF Meaning Infographic