Probably one of the most well-known phrases in American speech and conversation is the phrase “go figure.” Although some people who don’t understand this term might take it literally, it doesn’t mean what you think. However, you’re in luck if you’re lost wondering what this phrase does mean. Here you can find all the information you need to know so the next time you hear or see the phrase you will know exactly what someone is talking about. You will discover its meaning, its origin, see it used in some example sentences and conversations, and learn some alternative ways to say the same thing in different words or phrases.
Go Figure Meaning
The phrase “go figure” means an expression that is used by someone when they find something or someone amazing, incredible, or unbelievable. It can be used seriously or sarcastically.
Origin of this idiom
The phrase “go figure” is believed to have originated from the term “Gey veys.” This is a Yiddish term meaning “go know.”The phrase has been used since the 1900s.
“Go Figure” Examples
- I had no idea the engine would explode if I didn’t change the oil in the car. Go figure!
- I went to the hardware store expecting to find tools and found Christmas decorations too. Go figure!
- It’s a terrible movie and it made $200 million. Go figure!
A discussion between mother and daughter.
- Mother: How was Tabitha’s party?
- Daughter: It was okay. I went there with my bathing suit because the invitation said to bring one.
- Mother: And you didn’t need it?
- Daughter: No because it rained when there was not even rain in the forecast. Go figure!
A discussion between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: I thought we were supposed to have off on Christmas Eve!
- Co-worker 2: Yeah, well go figure! Who would have thought it was one of the busiest days for the company!
Alternatives to “Go Figure”
There are several words or phrases that you can use as a substitute for “go figure” in conversation. Some of the alternatives you could use include:
- No way!
- I never would have guessed in a million years!
- It figures!
Go Figure Meaning | Picture