What does Goober mean? Learn the definition, how and when to use the internet slang word with useful conversation examples and ESL printable infographic.
What Does Goober Mean?
The slang term for someone who is far from the brightest person in the group. This term is often a way of making fun of someone for their goofy personality and/or vehicle they drive. It is sometimes used as a way to describe that goofiness or even given as a nickname. While it is a term used in making sport of someone, it isn’t meant to be cruel.
Origin of Goober
One of the first appearances of the term ‘goober’ was seen in the TV series, Andy Griffith, in 1964. Not only was the term used as a person’s name it described the sort of individual ‘goober’ was. The actual date of the origination apart from that character is difficult to pinpoint because the term was such a part of southern history.
How you will find this internet slang term used.
- Mom: Didn’t you want to go to the movies?
- Son: Yes, but dad still isn’t off work yet.
- Mom: I can take you.
- Son: Really no, it’s fine.
- Mom: Oh come on I have my keys right here let’s go.
- Son: No please, not the goober mobile.
- Mom: Don’t be that way, nothing wrong with my minivan.
A son is embarrassed of his mom’s vehicle and makes fun of it calling it the ‘goober’ mobile.
A girl gets dressed up in her friend’s mom’s clothes. Her friend’s mom is a librarian.
- Girl: Hey look at me I’m your mom!
- Boy: Stop being a goober!
- Girl: Oh come on you know it’s funny.
A girl and her guy friend playing and she dresses up like his mom acting goofy wearing everything from oversized shoes to goofy glasses.
Goober Meaning Infographic