You may have heard the term ‘hand over fist’ used in conversation, but what is the meaning of this saying? We are going to look at its meaning as well as where the term derived from and how it can be used in a day to day conversation.
Hand Over Fist
“Hand Over Fist” Meaning
The term ‘hand over fist’ refers to someone earning money at a rapid rate.
Origin of this idiom
The phrase ‘hand over fist’ comes from a nautical background. It first originated to describe the way in which sailors would climb a rope. The term began as being worded ‘hand over hand; until it evolved to the wording that we use today.
“Hand Over Fist” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is a statement made by someone who is talking about their new job.
- ‘This job is brilliant, I am making money hand over fist.’
Here is a statement made by a company executive.
- ‘This year the company has done better than ever before, we are making money hand over fist.’
- It’s great! We’re making money hand over fist.
- Louis is an excellent businessman and he is hand over fist.
- I would give anything to make money hand over fist.
- My son is very bright. He is making progress hand over fist.
We are now going to look at how the idiomatic term ‘hand over fist’ can be used in a conversation.
The first example is a conversation between a mother and her son.
- Person 1: “How is your new job going?”
- Person 2: “It’s really going well, but I have to work on commission.”
- Person 1: “Are you going to make any money that way?”
- Person 2: “Well, if I put in the work, it’ll pay off, there are people at the business who are making money hand over fist.”
Here is a conversation between a boss and his employee.
- Person 1: “You have really done well for the company.”
- Person 2: “Thank you, I have been working really hard.”
- Person 1: “I am going to offer you a promotion, you will be making money hand over fist if you continue like this.”
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are many ways in which you could say the term ‘hand over fist’ using different wording.
Here are some examples.
- Raking it in
- Making easy money
What Is “Hand Over Fist”? | Picture