Whether you are a beginner or an experienced crafter, it is important to have a good understanding of the relevant words and phrases used in the field of handicrafts. Knowing the terminology can help you communicate effectively with other crafters, understand instructions, and even improve your crafting skills. We will provide you with a list of useful handicraft vocabulary words illustrated with pictures and examples in English to help you improve your vocabulary in this field. Whether you are a hobbyist or a professional, this article will be a valuable resource for you to enhance your knowledge of handicrafts.
Handicraft Vocabulary Words
- Sewing machine
- Knitting needle
- (Spool of) threat
- Tape measure
Handicraft Vocabulary with Pictures and Examples
A sewing machine is a mechanical or electronic device used to stitch fabric or other materials together with thread.
- Example: My grandmother taught me how to use the sewing machine to make my own clothes.
A needle is a small, pointed tool used for sewing, knitting, or other types of stitching.
- Example: I need to buy some more needles for my sewing kit.
A pin is a thin, pointed piece of metal or plastic used to fasten or hold fabric or other materials together temporarily.
- Example: She used a pin to secure the hem before sewing it.
A pincushion is a small cushion used to store and organize pins and needles.
- Example: She kept her sewing supplies in a box, including her favorite pincushion shaped like a tomato.
A knitting needle is a long, thin tool used to create knitted fabric by interlocking loops of yarn.
- Example: She picked up her knitting needles and began working on a new scarf.
Embroidery is the art of decorating fabric or other materials with needle and thread or yarn.
- Example: She spent hours working on the intricate embroidery design for her friend’s wedding dress.
A button is a small, usually round, object used to fasten or decorate clothing.
- Example: She lost a button on her shirt and had to sew on a replacement.
(Spool of) threat
A spool of thread is a cylinder-shaped object used to hold a long, thin strand of cotton, silk, or other material used in sewing or embroidery.
- Example: She ran out of thread in the middle of sewing the patch onto her jeans.
Scissors are a tool consisting of two metal blades with sharpened edges used for cutting various materials, such as fabric, paper, or hair.
- Example: She used the scissors to cut the fabric into the shape she needed for the quilt.
Wool is a soft, thick fiber that comes from the fleece of sheep or other animals. It is commonly used to make warm clothing and blankets.
- Example: She knitted a cozy sweater using soft, warm wool.
Knitting is a technique of creating fabric by interlocking loops of yarn with knitting needles.
- Example: She enjoyed spending her evenings relaxing and knitting a new scarf.
A tape measure is a flexible ruler used to measure the length, width, or height of objects, especially in sewing and other crafts.
- Example: She used a tape measure to ensure that the fabric was the right size for the project.
A zipper is a fastening device consisting of two parallel rows of metal or plastic teeth that can be interlocked or separated by means of a sliding tab.
- Example: She struggled to zip up the back of her dress because the zipper was stuck.
A seam is a line of stitching that joins two pieces of fabric or other material together.
- Example: She carefully sewed the seam of the dress to make sure it was straight and strong.
Material refers to any substance that can be used to make things, especially fabrics for clothing or furnishings.
- Example: She went to the store to buy some material for the curtains she was planning to make.
A pattern is a set of instructions or a design used to create a particular shape or style in sewing or other crafts.
- Example: She found a beautiful pattern for a dress and couldn’t wait to start sewing it.
Quilting is the process of sewing together two or more layers of fabric with a layer of batting in between, usually to create a warm, padded blanket or bedspread.
- Example: She spent hours quilting a beautiful patchwork blanket for her daughter’s bed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some common terms used in handicraft production?
If you are interested in handicraft production, you may come across some terms that are unfamiliar to you. Some common terms used in handicraft production include appliqué, back stitch, basket weaving, batik, beading, beadwork stitches, and many more. These terms refer to different techniques and materials used in creating handicrafts.
What are the different types of handicrafts?
Handicrafts come in different types and forms. Some of the most common types of handicrafts include pottery, weaving, embroidery, wood carving, paper crafts, and metalwork. Each type of handicraft involves different techniques and materials.
What are some examples of handicrafts?
Handicrafts can be anything that is made by hand. Some examples of handicrafts include jewelry, clothing, home decor items, pottery, baskets, and toys. Handicrafts can be functional or decorative, and they can be made from a variety of materials such as wood, metal, fabric, and paper.
What is the meaning of handicraft production?
Handicraft production refers to the process of creating handmade items using traditional techniques and tools. Handicraft production is often associated with artisanal work and is valued for its uniqueness and authenticity. Handicraft production can be a way to preserve cultural traditions and create sustainable livelihoods for artisans.
Last Updated on November 10, 2023